Hardware for multiple keyboards and mice on Windows

  • Sieg_Heintze
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7 2:52 PM
      I thought someone mentioned using e-macs (apparently not to be
      confused with the emacs editor) for pair programming on macintoshes.
      They also mentioned that it was also possible to plug in mutliple
      keyboards and mice into a windows box.

      I'm buying a new computer and I want to configure it for pair
      programming.

      Presently my motherboard only has one receptical for a single
      keyboard. What hardware do I need to buy for my new computer to
      accommodate multiple keyboards for pair programming on windows? Can
      we each have our own mouse too?

      What about dual monitors. What do I need need for each programmer to
      have his own monitor. Does that require an additional video card? It
      seems like it should not, I just want the same video signal sent to
      two monitors.
    • Greg Compestine
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7 4:58 PM
        You can use USB keyboards and get a USB multiplexer to hook in as many
        as you want.

        There are dual monitor video cards on the market (Matrox makes one, the
        Nvidea Quatro4 200 also works), but with Windows you'll still only have
        one keyboard and mouse focus on the screen.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7 5:11 PM
          On May 7, 2004, at 5:52 PM, Sieg_Heintze wrote:
          > Presently my motherboard only has one receptical for a single
          > keyboard. What hardware do I need to buy for my new computer to
          > accommodate multiple keyboards for pair programming on windows? Can
          > we each have our own mouse too?

          If you're using PS/2 keyboards you can use the Y-key adapter:

          http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm

          It allows you to use both keyboards at once. I have one at work because
          I use the kinesis ergo contoured keyboard and nobody else can. It works
          pretty well except for some skittishness at startup -- sometimes it
          doesn't initialize one of the keyboards -- but it's easy to work
          around. But since it's $60, if you don't have someone using a special
          keyboard you're probably better off just getting two USB keyboards...

          Now I just need to get people to pair...

          Chris

          --
          Chris Winters
          Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10 2:51 PM
            May I confirm here?

            Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
            or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
            keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).

            MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
            keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
            multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
            there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?

            Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

            --- Greg Compestine <gcompestine@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , May 10 3:02 PM
              On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
              > May I confirm here?
              >
              > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
              > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
              > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
              >
              > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
              > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
              > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
              > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
              >
              > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

              The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
              thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
              certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
              required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
              this directly.

              Chris

              --
              Chris Winters
              Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
            • Paul Lindner
              Message 6 of 6 , May 10 3:29 PM
                On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:02:47PM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:
                > On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
                > > May I confirm here?
                > >
                > > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
                > > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
                > > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
                > >
                > > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
                > > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
                > > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
                > > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
                > >
                > > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?
                >
                > The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
                > thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
                > certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
                > required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
                > this directly.

                Using Fedora Core 2 test 3 I can connect as many USB mice/keyboards
                and they all work in tandem. Not sure if older distributions work in
                this way, but they may..

                --
                Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
                lindner@...