RE: [extremeperl] Software for Using two computers for Pair Programming

  • Greg Compestine
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2004
      While simultaneous editing may sound appealing, I've found it to be more
      difficult to apply than one might expect. It's just too easy to end up
      in a battle over the mouse/keyboard.

      If your desk is feeling cramped, it may be just because you both have to
      get too close to the monitor, or are struggling to pass around the
      keyboard. A flatscreen monitor can free up real estate on the desk as
      well. Perhaps an alternative is to equip the PC with an extra-large
      monitor and a wireless keyboard. I've seen (but not tried) a wireless
      keyboard that has a built-in touchpad in the palm rest. This could solve
      the problem of sharing a mouse.

      That said, my company uses a commercial product from Citrix to solve
      this just problem with people working in offices in diferent locations,
      sharing an intranet connection. See http://www.citrix.com Users can
      "shadow" each other, share displays and both interact with documents and
      such.

      Greg

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2004
        On 5 May 2004, at 22:37, Richard Heintze wrote:

        > We are finding my desk a bit cramped and were
        > wondering if there was any software for pair
        > programming that would allow two different computers
        > to simultaneously edit the same file simultaneously so
        > that both individuals can see the other's changes
        > realtime.
        [snip]

        I just use VNC myself. Works fine as long as you invent some cues for
        who's driving.

        If you're both on Mac OS X I'd also have a play with SubEthaEdit
        <http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>.

        Adrian
      • Matthew Albright
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2004
          Don't forget the old standard, vim and screen. A couple guys here paired
          over the phone while both working from their houses using vim and
          screen...

          matt