Software for Using two computers for Pair Programming

  • Richard Heintze
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2004
      We are finding my desk a bit cramped and were
      wondering if there was any software for pair
      programming that would allow two different computers
      to simultaneously edit the same file simultaneously so
      that both individuals can see the other's changes
      realtime.

      Here is one company that provides such a product:
      http://www.groove.net/

      I think there product is mainly for writing textual
      documents, not perl programs. Does anyone have any
      experience with using groove's product for
      programming?

      Does anyone have experience with other products?

      Thanks
      Sieg

    • Greg Compestine
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2004
        While simultaneous editing may sound appealing, I've found it to be more
        difficult to apply than one might expect. It's just too easy to end up
        in a battle over the mouse/keyboard.

        If your desk is feeling cramped, it may be just because you both have to
        get too close to the monitor, or are struggling to pass around the
        keyboard. A flatscreen monitor can free up real estate on the desk as
        well. Perhaps an alternative is to equip the PC with an extra-large
        monitor and a wireless keyboard. I've seen (but not tried) a wireless
        keyboard that has a built-in touchpad in the palm rest. This could solve
        the problem of sharing a mouse.

        That said, my company uses a commercial product from Citrix to solve
        this just problem with people working in offices in diferent locations,
        sharing an intranet connection. See http://www.citrix.com Users can
        "shadow" each other, share displays and both interact with documents and
        such.

        Greg

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2004
          On 5 May 2004, at 22:37, Richard Heintze wrote:

          > We are finding my desk a bit cramped and were
          > wondering if there was any software for pair
          > programming that would allow two different computers
          > to simultaneously edit the same file simultaneously so
          > that both individuals can see the other's changes
          > realtime.
          [snip]

          I just use VNC myself. Works fine as long as you invent some cues for
          who's driving.

          If you're both on Mac OS X I'd also have a play with SubEthaEdit
          <http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>.

          Adrian
        • Matthew Albright
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2004
            Don't forget the old standard, vim and screen. A couple guys here paired
            over the phone while both working from their houses using vim and
            screen...

            matt