RE: [extremeperl] Introduction...

  • Lance Wicks
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
      Hi all,

      My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
      Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

      My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
      pleasure as opposed to for work.
      That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
      stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
      solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
      <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

      I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
      available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
      I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
      and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

      From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
      to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
      to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
      really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
      book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
      extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

      Well... Thats about all about me.

      Lance

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
        Since everybody else is doing introductions...

        Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
        Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
        list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
        that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

        Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
        (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
        seen looks jolly good.

        Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
        little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
        and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

        I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
        practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
        features to shine through.

        Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

      • norbertgruener
        Message 3 of 16 , May 18, 2004
          Hi Rob,

          --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
          > Karl Scotland writes:
          >
          > > One thing I wondered was
          > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
          > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
          >
          > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
          > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
          > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
          > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

          getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

          --Norbert