RE: [extremeperl] Introduction...

  • Greg Compestine
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
      Hi Matt, I'm Greg Compestine. I had the pleasure of working with Rob in
      Colorado back in 2002 and 2003. I'm now in the Bay Area working for this
      investment firm called AXA Rosenberg.

      This place is an Eiffel stronghold, and I've been involved in the Eiffel
      Open Source community for several years. I'm now in the rather strange
      position of promoting Perl to a collection of Eiffel and C# programmers.

      In some respects, it makes sense for this place to use Perl. There's a
      huge amount of legacy VMS processing, and we have Perl 5.6 running
      there. All new development is targeting Windows, so Perl gives us a
      cross-platform scripting language.

      I have one coworker who's quite enthusiastic about adopting Perl (he's
      sick to death the DCL, a sort of DOS Batch language with messianic
      tendencies). While it's not team programming, he's been having me
      regularly review his Perl code and "Robify" or refactor it, using
      techniques I learned from Rob. This usually leads to significant
      reductions in the size of the scripts, and usually, greater clarity.

      Greg

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
        Hi all,

        My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
        Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

        My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
        pleasure as opposed to for work.
        That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
        stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
        solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
        <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

        I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
        available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
        I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
        and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

        From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
        to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
        to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
        really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
        book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
        extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

        Well... Thats about all about me.

        Lance

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
          Since everybody else is doing introductions...

          Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
          Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
          list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
          that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

          Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
          (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
          seen looks jolly good.

          Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
          little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
          and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

          I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
          practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
          features to shine through.

          Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

        • norbertgruener
          Message 4 of 16 , May 18, 2004
            Hi Rob,

            --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
            > Karl Scotland writes:
            >
            > > One thing I wondered was
            > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
            > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
            >
            > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
            > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
            > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
            > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

            getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

            --Norbert