Introduction...

  • Matthew Albright
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
      Wow, looks like there's activity here now!

      I'm also a newcomer to the group... someone on the san francisco perl
      mongers group pointed me here after I gave a talk to them (and the bayxp
      group) about the perl/XP process we're following here at Airwave
      (http://www.airwave.com).

      Reading the book is something I have on my to-do list, but just haven't
      gotten a chance yet. I'm very excited to see if there are cool ideas we
      could use here...

      The reason I was asked to do the talk is that the XP people thought that
      using perl was rather unique, and the perl people thought that using XP
      was intriguing.

      It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
      professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
      you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been doing
      perl/xp, etc?

      I'll start:
      Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
      developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It is
      nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years with a
      full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group is
      currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

      Let's hear from everyone else!

      matt
    • Greg Compestine
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
        Hi Matt, I'm Greg Compestine. I had the pleasure of working with Rob in
        Colorado back in 2002 and 2003. I'm now in the Bay Area working for this
        investment firm called AXA Rosenberg.

        This place is an Eiffel stronghold, and I've been involved in the Eiffel
        Open Source community for several years. I'm now in the rather strange
        position of promoting Perl to a collection of Eiffel and C# programmers.

        In some respects, it makes sense for this place to use Perl. There's a
        huge amount of legacy VMS processing, and we have Perl 5.6 running
        there. All new development is targeting Windows, so Perl gives us a
        cross-platform scripting language.

        I have one coworker who's quite enthusiastic about adopting Perl (he's
        sick to death the DCL, a sort of DOS Batch language with messianic
        tendencies). While it's not team programming, he's been having me
        regularly review his Perl code and "Robify" or refactor it, using
        techniques I learned from Rob. This usually leads to significant
        reductions in the size of the scripts, and usually, greater clarity.

        Greg

        It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
        professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
        you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been
        doing perl/xp, etc?

        I'll start:
        Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
        developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It
        is nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years
        with a full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group
        is currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

        Let's hear from everyone else!

        matt
      • Lance Wicks
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
          Hi all,

          My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
          Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

          My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
          pleasure as opposed to for work.
          That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
          stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
          solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
          <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

          I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
          available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
          I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
          and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

          From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
          to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
          to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
          really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
          book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
          extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

          Well... Thats about all about me.

          Lance

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
            Since everybody else is doing introductions...

            Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
            Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
            list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
            that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

            Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
            (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
            seen looks jolly good.

            Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
            little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
            and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

            I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
            practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
            features to shine through.

            Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

          • norbertgruener
            Message 5 of 16 , May 18, 2004
              Hi Rob,

              --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
              > Karl Scotland writes:
              >
              > > One thing I wondered was
              > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
              > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
              >
              > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
              > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
              > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
              > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

              getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

              --Norbert