Re: [extremeperl] CPAN and XP

  • marceusz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2002
      In a message dated 28-Jan-02 6:15:30 PM GMT Standard Time, nagler@... writes:

      It's very tough to talk about CPAN modules and XP, because they don't
      apply OO principles consistently.  I consider consistency, OO and,
      information hiding to be prerequisites for refactoring.  XP requires
      the team agree on a coding style which is the anthesis of TIMTOWTDI.

      Actually I don't find either of these to be particularly true. While it is true that XP works easier with the OO paradigm, One of the XP books states explicitly that it's not required ... and there is nothing in XP per-se that requires Objects be the results of your code.

      Second coding-style does not neccessarily equate identical solution ... TIMTOWDI is the essence of Refactoring. Refactoring expands, and "codefies" if you will the idea of TIMTOWDI ... if your code is icky you find another less icky way to code it.

      Isee "Code Style" however comming in with the other major audiance for code, the other developers. If the next poor schmuck is expecting to see $this_is_arg1 and instead gets $thisIsArg1 (or possibly @_[1]) this becomes much more a stylistic problem. The two statments are identical, just rely upon different syntactic differences. The team each need to be able to "write with one voice" so it appears that one coder developed the entire piece.

      This is my tuppence ... for what it's worth.
      -Chris

    • Ed Grimm
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2002
        On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:

        > Stas and I were having a conversation. I'm moving it here, because it
        > is exactly the type of stuff I need to understand better.
        >
        > Stas Bekman writes:
        >> Hmm, Isn't debug an essential part of the XP?
        >
        > Not per se. It's a given, like breathing. My focus in the book is on
        > things that aren't really covered in other Perl or XP books while
        > giving a little background. For example, I'll mention pair
        > programming, but it's covered ad nauseum elsewhere. While I did take
        > time to discuss pair testing which is only briefly touched on in most
        > XP books. In general, testing is really important in Perl, because of
        > its dynamism.

        I'd say it's a natural consequence of testing. Who finds bugs then
        releases the code?

        >> I think CPAN doesn't contradict XP, since most its users are non-XP'ers.
        >> Imagine the headache for the authors if they had to respond to the
        >> problems that are being in the progress of fixing.
        >
        > It's very tough to talk about CPAN modules and XP, because they don't
        > apply OO principles consistently. I consider consistency, OO and,
        > information hiding to be prerequisites for refactoring.

        I disagree - modular programming is necessary for XP, but OO is not.
        And, incidentally, just like it's possible to do C++ spaghetti code,
        it's also possible to do non-modular OO (though it likely requires a
        concerted effort...)

        And, incidentally, one can refactor any code - refactoring is simply the
        process of improving code without functional changes; normally code
        cleaing on steroids. The modularity is required by the unit tests -
        without modularity, you can't isolate the units to test them.

        > XP requires
        > the team agree on a coding style which is the anthesis of TIMTOWTDI.

        No contest - no project can thrive for long with an inconsistant style.

        Ed
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
          marceusz@a... wrote:
          > Actually I don't find either of these to be particularly true. While
          > it is true that XP works easier with the OO paradigm, One of the XP
          > books states explicitly that it's not required ... and there is
          > nothing in XP per-se that requires Objects be the results of your
          > code.

          Excellent point.

          > Second coding-style does not neccessarily equate identical solution ...
          > TIMTOWDI is the essence of Refactoring. Refactoring expands, and "codefies"
          > if you will the idea of TIMTOWDI ... if your code is icky you find another
          > less icky way to code it.

          I like this. One of the points I try to make in the refactoring
          chapter is that every refactoring has and equally valid converse.
          I'll try to work in TIMTOWDI in this chapter.

          > This is my tuppence ... for what it's worth.

          It's weight in gold, thanks.