RE: [extremeperl] Re: Online book: Extreme Programming with Perl

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
      Karl Scotland writes:
      > I'm a recent joiner. I got a pointer to your site out of the blue - not
      > from one my usual XP sources - so I suspect word is spreading. I've not
      > seen an email on main xp yahoo group. There's also a perl unit yahoo
      > group. Have you thought of 'advertising' there for feedback?

      It was a bit of an experiment (I just finished reading the Tipping
      Point) to see how fast it would spread with two seeds (xpdenver and
      this list). If you want to mail other lists, you're more than
      welcome.

      > I've scanned the book, but not had time to review it properly yet. I'll
      > definitely do so though as its precisely the book I've not been able to
      > write myself - we use perl and XP a lot!

      That makes two of us who use that combination. ;-) It's been fun to
      write. I don't think there is a big audience, but I'm hoping that it
      helps evolve our (bivio's) internal process.

      > One thing I wondered was
      > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me being
      > too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?

      I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
      Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too busy to
      fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book a single HTML
      page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

      Rob
    • Matthew Albright
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
        Wow, looks like there's activity here now!

        I'm also a newcomer to the group... someone on the san francisco perl
        mongers group pointed me here after I gave a talk to them (and the bayxp
        group) about the perl/XP process we're following here at Airwave
        (http://www.airwave.com).

        Reading the book is something I have on my to-do list, but just haven't
        gotten a chance yet. I'm very excited to see if there are cool ideas we
        could use here...

        The reason I was asked to do the talk is that the XP people thought that
        using perl was rather unique, and the perl people thought that using XP
        was intriguing.

        It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
        professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
        you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been doing
        perl/xp, etc?

        I'll start:
        Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
        developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It is
        nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years with a
        full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group is
        currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

        Let's hear from everyone else!

        matt
      • Greg Compestine
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
          Hi Matt, I'm Greg Compestine. I had the pleasure of working with Rob in
          Colorado back in 2002 and 2003. I'm now in the Bay Area working for this
          investment firm called AXA Rosenberg.

          This place is an Eiffel stronghold, and I've been involved in the Eiffel
          Open Source community for several years. I'm now in the rather strange
          position of promoting Perl to a collection of Eiffel and C# programmers.

          In some respects, it makes sense for this place to use Perl. There's a
          huge amount of legacy VMS processing, and we have Perl 5.6 running
          there. All new development is targeting Windows, so Perl gives us a
          cross-platform scripting language.

          I have one coworker who's quite enthusiastic about adopting Perl (he's
          sick to death the DCL, a sort of DOS Batch language with messianic
          tendencies). While it's not team programming, he's been having me
          regularly review his Perl code and "Robify" or refactor it, using
          techniques I learned from Rob. This usually leads to significant
          reductions in the size of the scripts, and usually, greater clarity.

          Greg

          It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
          professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
          you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been
          doing perl/xp, etc?

          I'll start:
          Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
          developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It
          is nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years
          with a full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group
          is currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

          Let's hear from everyone else!

          matt
        • Lance Wicks
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
            Hi all,

            My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
            Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

            My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
            pleasure as opposed to for work.
            That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
            stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
            solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
            <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

            I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
            available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
            I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
            and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

            From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
            to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
            to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
            really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
            book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
            extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

            Well... Thats about all about me.

            Lance

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
              Since everybody else is doing introductions...

              Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
              Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
              list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
              that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

              Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
              (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
              seen looks jolly good.

              Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
              little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
              and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

              I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
              practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
              features to shine through.

              Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

            • norbertgruener
              Message 6 of 16 , May 18, 2004
                Hi Rob,

                --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
                > Karl Scotland writes:
                >
                > > One thing I wondered was
                > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
                > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
                >
                > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
                > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
                > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
                > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

                getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

                --Norbert