RE: [extremeperl] Re: Online book: Extreme Programming with Perl

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
      Lance Wicks writes:
      > I would just like to say how much I enjoyed reading your online version of
      > the book. (I lost track a bit on some of the code examples, I have to
      > confess)

      Thanks, and yes, the examples are hard. It's a feature. :-) XP is
      about the code. There's a good book by Tom Cargill called C++
      Programming Style: http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201563657 I
      modeled my examples after that book, that is, I tried to make the code
      substantial so you'd have to sit down with a pencil and paper and try
      to work out what it does.

      This isn't a cookbook or even a patterns book. It's about how to bend
      the software to fit the problem instead of the other way around. This
      is a tricky thing to get across in a few pages (another goal of mine :-).

      That being said, if you can tell me which parts are tricky to
      understand and why, I'll try to smooth them over with more text or
      whatever makes sense.

      > It is one of the best resources I have struck to introduce Extreme
      > Programming to newbies. I have found that most references to Extreme
      > Programming are not overly helpful when you are trying to get started down
      > the XP path.

      Wow! Thanks. I'm glad.

      > If I can help with the development of the book in anyway do let me know.

      The feedback is great. Even the compliments help me to, because then
      I know that the book is useful. I'm a bit egotistical about
      controlling the source to it right now. I've put a lot of sweat and
      buckets of tears :-( into it, and I'd like to continue with the
      writing part myself. That's unfortunate, because I'm pretty busy with
      other things, and the book has to take a back seat.

      I may ask for help on the website at some point. It's a bit simple,
      and there's no search mechanism. Adding an index might be good, too.
      But let's see how many people actually read it, and ask for the
      features instead of getting into "that would be useful" kinds of
      discussions. YAGNI!

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
        Karl Scotland writes:
        > I'm a recent joiner. I got a pointer to your site out of the blue - not
        > from one my usual XP sources - so I suspect word is spreading. I've not
        > seen an email on main xp yahoo group. There's also a perl unit yahoo
        > group. Have you thought of 'advertising' there for feedback?

        It was a bit of an experiment (I just finished reading the Tipping
        Point) to see how fast it would spread with two seeds (xpdenver and
        this list). If you want to mail other lists, you're more than
        welcome.

        > I've scanned the book, but not had time to review it properly yet. I'll
        > definitely do so though as its precisely the book I've not been able to
        > write myself - we use perl and XP a lot!

        That makes two of us who use that combination. ;-) It's been fun to
        write. I don't think there is a big audience, but I'm hoping that it
        helps evolve our (bivio's) internal process.

        > One thing I wondered was
        > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me being
        > too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?

        I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
        Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too busy to
        fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book a single HTML
        page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

        Rob
      • Matthew Albright
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
          Wow, looks like there's activity here now!

          I'm also a newcomer to the group... someone on the san francisco perl
          mongers group pointed me here after I gave a talk to them (and the bayxp
          group) about the perl/XP process we're following here at Airwave
          (http://www.airwave.com).

          Reading the book is something I have on my to-do list, but just haven't
          gotten a chance yet. I'm very excited to see if there are cool ideas we
          could use here...

          The reason I was asked to do the talk is that the XP people thought that
          using perl was rather unique, and the perl people thought that using XP
          was intriguing.

          It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
          professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
          you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been doing
          perl/xp, etc?

          I'll start:
          Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
          developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It is
          nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years with a
          full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group is
          currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

          Let's hear from everyone else!

          matt
        • Greg Compestine
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
            Hi Matt, I'm Greg Compestine. I had the pleasure of working with Rob in
            Colorado back in 2002 and 2003. I'm now in the Bay Area working for this
            investment firm called AXA Rosenberg.

            This place is an Eiffel stronghold, and I've been involved in the Eiffel
            Open Source community for several years. I'm now in the rather strange
            position of promoting Perl to a collection of Eiffel and C# programmers.

            In some respects, it makes sense for this place to use Perl. There's a
            huge amount of legacy VMS processing, and we have Perl 5.6 running
            there. All new development is targeting Windows, so Perl gives us a
            cross-platform scripting language.

            I have one coworker who's quite enthusiastic about adopting Perl (he's
            sick to death the DCL, a sort of DOS Batch language with messianic
            tendencies). While it's not team programming, he's been having me
            regularly review his Perl code and "Robify" or refactor it, using
            techniques I learned from Rob. This usually leads to significant
            reductions in the size of the scripts, and usually, greater clarity.

            Greg

            It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
            professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
            you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been
            doing perl/xp, etc?

            I'll start:
            Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
            developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It
            is nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years
            with a full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group
            is currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

            Let's hear from everyone else!

            matt
          • Lance Wicks
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
              Hi all,

              My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
              Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

              My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
              pleasure as opposed to for work.
              That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
              stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
              solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
              <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

              I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
              available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
              I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
              and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

              From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
              to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
              to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
              really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
              book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
              extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

              Well... Thats about all about me.

              Lance

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
                Since everybody else is doing introductions...

                Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
                Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
                list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
                that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

                Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
                (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
                seen looks jolly good.

                Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
                little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
                and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

                I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
                practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
                features to shine through.

                Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

              • norbertgruener
                Message 7 of 16 , May 18, 2004
                  Hi Rob,

                  --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
                  > Karl Scotland writes:
                  >
                  > > One thing I wondered was
                  > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
                  > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
                  >
                  > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
                  > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
                  > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
                  > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

                  getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

                  --Norbert