RE: [extremeperl] Re: Online book: Extreme Programming with Perl

  • Karl Scotland
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004

      I'm a recent joiner. I got a pointer to your site out of the blue - not
      from one my usual XP sources - so I suspect word is spreading. I've not
      seen an email on main xp yahoo group. There's also a perl unit yahoo
      group. Have you thought of 'advertising' there for feedback?

      I've scanned the book, but not had time to review it properly yet. I'll
      definitely do so though as its precisely the book I've not been able to
      write myself - we use perl and XP a lot! One thing I wondered was
      whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me being
      too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?

      Karl

      BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

      stated.
      BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
        Hi,

        On 27 Apr 2004, at 04:13, chudpi wrote:

        > After reviewing the list of things I marked, there is only one which
        > would qualify as 'constructive.' In Chapter 2, the last sentence in
        > the Feedback section is an observation by Johannes Rukkers, that "XP
        > uses feedback to integrate towards a solution, rather than trying to
        > get it through a discontinuity." I'm not sure if I follow exactly
        > what Johannes means by discontinuity. I was wondering if you wouldn't
        > mind expanding on that statement?
        [snip]

        While I still have not had the time to read the book (sorry Rob :-) I
        would guess that Johannes means that feedback is integral in the XP
        process: from the fine-grained feedback you get during TDD, the
        continual feedback you get from having an onsite customer, the feedback
        from regular iterations and releases, etc. With some more traditional
        processes the feedback is separate from the development (now we do the
        development, throw the application over the wall to QA, QA do some
        testing, feedback eventually comes back to the developers - usually by
        the time that they're working on the next bit).

        More feedback and tighter feedback loops are one of the main reasons
        that XP works so well in my experience.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
          Hi,

          On 27 Apr 2004, at 09:43, Karl Scotland wrote:

          [snip]
          > One thing I wondered was
          > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
          > being
          > too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
          [snip]

          Another vote for a downloadable version (although a .tgz of the HTML
          would be just as useful as a PDF for me).

          I get the most time for reading on the train - where there is an
          annoying lack of connectivity.

          (and if I was less bone idle I'd use wget - I know :-)

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
            chudpi writes:
            > uses feedback to integrate towards a solution, rather than trying to
            > get it through a discontinuity." I'm not sure if I follow exactly
            > what Johannes means by discontinuity. I was wondering if you wouldn't
            > mind expanding on that statement?

            The best example of this I can think of is the development book
            itself. As far as you (the customer/user) are concerned, the
            introduction is a discontinuity, a major release. That's bad, because
            it is a disruptive event.

            Disruptions can be good with books, because they are outside of the
            flow of your work. That's what is fun about books. They make you
            think (hopefully :-).

            Disruption is bad with software, because software is hard to get
            right. If you continually disrupt people with big changes (Windows
            98, SE, ME, etc.), they won't use your software (unless you are a
            monopoly :-). If you transition with itty bitty changes, people
            accept the changes more readily. This is why Microsoft and others
            have moved to a "patch" model with automatic updates. Sure, I have to
            reboot my machine every now and then, but I don't really notice the
            change and the change isn't likely to disrupt my flow. The problem
            with Microsoft's patch model is that they aren't changing anything
            fundamentally.

            XP allows you to make fundamental changes a little bit at a time.
            This works at all levels (like Adrian mentioned).

            > Admitedly, XP is a concept quite new to me (hence my enthusiasm), so
            > this could be something obvious to the dwellers of this group. In
            > that case, I apologize for introducing redundancy.

            Discussion is good. XP is evolving. If we get to 10% of the traffic
            of extremeprogramming@yahoogroups, we can consider creating a faq for
            these types of things.

            > The rest of what I had marked were simple formatting errors I noticed,
            > which will probably get hashed out in editing anyway. Please let me
            > know if you would like me to send you a list of these anyway.

            Please do. You are the acceptance test of the book. I try to fix
            little errors pretty quickly so they don't annoy others.

            Thanks for the feedback.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
              Lance Wicks writes:
              > I would just like to say how much I enjoyed reading your online version of
              > the book. (I lost track a bit on some of the code examples, I have to
              > confess)

              Thanks, and yes, the examples are hard. It's a feature. :-) XP is
              about the code. There's a good book by Tom Cargill called C++
              Programming Style: http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201563657 I
              modeled my examples after that book, that is, I tried to make the code
              substantial so you'd have to sit down with a pencil and paper and try
              to work out what it does.

              This isn't a cookbook or even a patterns book. It's about how to bend
              the software to fit the problem instead of the other way around. This
              is a tricky thing to get across in a few pages (another goal of mine :-).

              That being said, if you can tell me which parts are tricky to
              understand and why, I'll try to smooth them over with more text or
              whatever makes sense.

              > It is one of the best resources I have struck to introduce Extreme
              > Programming to newbies. I have found that most references to Extreme
              > Programming are not overly helpful when you are trying to get started down
              > the XP path.

              Wow! Thanks. I'm glad.

              > If I can help with the development of the book in anyway do let me know.

              The feedback is great. Even the compliments help me to, because then
              I know that the book is useful. I'm a bit egotistical about
              controlling the source to it right now. I've put a lot of sweat and
              buckets of tears :-( into it, and I'd like to continue with the
              writing part myself. That's unfortunate, because I'm pretty busy with
              other things, and the book has to take a back seat.

              I may ask for help on the website at some point. It's a bit simple,
              and there's no search mechanism. Adding an index might be good, too.
              But let's see how many people actually read it, and ask for the
              features instead of getting into "that would be useful" kinds of
              discussions. YAGNI!

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
                Karl Scotland writes:
                > I'm a recent joiner. I got a pointer to your site out of the blue - not
                > from one my usual XP sources - so I suspect word is spreading. I've not
                > seen an email on main xp yahoo group. There's also a perl unit yahoo
                > group. Have you thought of 'advertising' there for feedback?

                It was a bit of an experiment (I just finished reading the Tipping
                Point) to see how fast it would spread with two seeds (xpdenver and
                this list). If you want to mail other lists, you're more than
                welcome.

                > I've scanned the book, but not had time to review it properly yet. I'll
                > definitely do so though as its precisely the book I've not been able to
                > write myself - we use perl and XP a lot!

                That makes two of us who use that combination. ;-) It's been fun to
                write. I don't think there is a big audience, but I'm hoping that it
                helps evolve our (bivio's) internal process.

                > One thing I wondered was
                > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me being
                > too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?

                I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
                Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too busy to
                fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book a single HTML
                page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

                Rob
              • Matthew Albright
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
                  Wow, looks like there's activity here now!

                  I'm also a newcomer to the group... someone on the san francisco perl
                  mongers group pointed me here after I gave a talk to them (and the bayxp
                  group) about the perl/XP process we're following here at Airwave
                  (http://www.airwave.com).

                  Reading the book is something I have on my to-do list, but just haven't
                  gotten a chance yet. I'm very excited to see if there are cool ideas we
                  could use here...

                  The reason I was asked to do the talk is that the XP people thought that
                  using perl was rather unique, and the perl people thought that using XP
                  was intriguing.

                  It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
                  professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
                  you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been doing
                  perl/xp, etc?

                  I'll start:
                  Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
                  developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It is
                  nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years with a
                  full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group is
                  currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

                  Let's hear from everyone else!

                  matt
                • Greg Compestine
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
                    Hi Matt, I'm Greg Compestine. I had the pleasure of working with Rob in
                    Colorado back in 2002 and 2003. I'm now in the Bay Area working for this
                    investment firm called AXA Rosenberg.

                    This place is an Eiffel stronghold, and I've been involved in the Eiffel
                    Open Source community for several years. I'm now in the rather strange
                    position of promoting Perl to a collection of Eiffel and C# programmers.

                    In some respects, it makes sense for this place to use Perl. There's a
                    huge amount of legacy VMS processing, and we have Perl 5.6 running
                    there. All new development is targeting Windows, so Perl gives us a
                    cross-platform scripting language.

                    I have one coworker who's quite enthusiastic about adopting Perl (he's
                    sick to death the DCL, a sort of DOS Batch language with messianic
                    tendencies). While it's not team programming, he's been having me
                    regularly review his Perl code and "Robify" or refactor it, using
                    techniques I learned from Rob. This usually leads to significant
                    reductions in the size of the scripts, and usually, greater clarity.

                    Greg

                    It sounds like there are other people here that are doing perl/XP
                    professionally... so, where is everyone located, what size of group do
                    you have, what kind of product are you doing, how long have you been
                    doing perl/xp, etc?

                    I'll start:
                    Airwave is in San Mateo, CA, USA (San Francisco Bay Area)... we are
                    developing (and selling) a wireless network management application. It
                    is nearly 100% OO perl that was developed over the past 3 or so years
                    with a full XP process (pairing/tdd/2 week iterations/etc). Our group
                    is currently 7 developers, looking to get to 8 very soon (hint hint).

                    Let's hear from everyone else!

                    matt
                  • Lance Wicks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
                      Hi all,

                      My name is Lance Wicks. I am a general IT geek/nerd here in the United
                      Kingdom (tho' originally I am from New Zealand).

                      My involvement in Perl is primarily CGI web applications. And mainly for
                      pleasure as opposed to for work.
                      That said, the driver that had me looking for XP info and specifically XP
                      stuff for Perl is a project here to prototype a web based e-learning
                      solution for The Aziz Corporation/ Pzzaz ( www.azizcorp.com
                      <http://www.azizcorp.com> ).

                      I am also primarily a XP soloist, in other words no pair programming
                      available as I am the sole person tasked with writing code.
                      I have been using "the planning game" to manage the prototype development
                      and also to assist in getting buy-in from the sales team and trainers.

                      From my perspective, the idea of building a working application then adding
                      to it iteratively is just right. My chances of getting the time allocation
                      to do a BDUF style development was slim to naff all. As yet I have not
                      really started using the full XP range of tools/ideas. I have found Rob's
                      book the best resource so far for a newbie like me. Sites like
                      extremeprogramming.org are really good but can be intimidating IMHO.

                      Well... Thats about all about me.

                      Lance

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
                        Since everybody else is doing introductions...

                        Programming since 81. Been paid for it since 86. First used Perl in 96.
                        Started along the agile/XP route around 2000/1. Joined the extremeperl
                        list (quick grep of the mbox) sometime in 2002. Have mostly lurked (not
                        that there has been a lot to lurk around.)

                        Not had a chance to more than skim a couple of chapters of Rob's book
                        (this annoying "work" thing keeps getting in the way), but what I have
                        seen looks jolly good.

                        Been a contractor / consultant type since 1999 so I don't have my own
                        little XP team to play with (sigh), but all my clients get the spiel
                        and a few XP practices thrown in for good measure!

                        I'm of the opinion that XP and Perl are an excellent fit. The XP
                        practices stop the creation of golf/line-noise code, allowing its nice
                        features to shine through.

                        Oh yes, I wrote Test:Class for any xUnit fans out there.

                      • norbertgruener
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 18 3:57 AM
                          Hi Rob,

                          --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Rob Nagler <nagler@b...> wrote:
                          > Karl Scotland writes:
                          >
                          > > One thing I wondered was
                          > > whether it might be easier to review as a pdf - or is that just me
                          > > being too lazy to print out all the chapters separately?
                          >
                          > I had it as a PDF, but that stopped working. I was using Stas
                          > Bekman's DocSet, and for some reason that broke, and I was too
                          > busy to fix it. Alternatively, I could probably make the book
                          > a single HTML page fairly easily. Would that work for you?

                          getting a single HTML page would be a real relief.

                          --Norbert