Quantifiably Simple

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hello Extreme Perlers!

      It has been a long time since we have seen a post on this list. I
      hope that means you are all busily writing software, and cannot spare
      a minute to write about the interesting things you are doing with XP
      and Perl. Over the last few years, I've been busy learning and
      growing by coding as well. Being with a family is also exciting,
      interesting, and always an incredibly rich life experience.

      Last December I finally got around to putting all the code we've been
      adding to bOP into a live site. It's a place for bivions to create
      the sites we want to create using the tools we have added to bOP. The
      technology is open source, of course, and has been well-tested by our
      clients so we're not so afraid to use for our own stuff. :-)

      ViaRob.com is my site. I've been writing a few articles as well as
      archiving a couple of others. I've also put my 20 years or so of book
      reviews on the web, which means Via Rob has quite a bit of content.

      I also tried a little experiment. I didn't tell anybody except fellow
      bivions about Via Rob for two months. Nothing happened. I didn't get
      any hits. Search engines found the site, and I would have thought
      that would have made it interesting. Alas, the universe of what is
      interesting is so large that it is still "who you know, not what you
      know". Last month, I let a few more people know by word of mouth
      only -- not via email. I was curious if this would pick up the
      traffic. Not much.

      That's ok, because I still think what I know is fun and meaningful,
      and I like writing about books and ideas. I realized that it's
      somewhat pointless to continue my little experiment, because I
      satisfied my curiosity about information on the Web to the extent that
      I needed to. I do know people (hi guys!) and perhaps you'll find
      ViaRob.com interesting, and will make it the most popular site on the
      web -- just kidding, please don't; I couldn't afford the bandwidth.

      This is therefore the first, and probably only announcement on this
      list about an article I wrote on Via Rob. It has to do with XP, of
      course. If you like it, you can subscribe to the RSS feed, or just
      check back every now and then. I write a book review a month or so,
      and an article like this every now and then:

      http://www.viarob.com/my/page/Quantifiably_Simple