Re: [extremeperl] Stiffling Innovation

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17 12:32 AM
      Chris wrote:
      > Hi Rob,
      >
      > Keep the group going! I value your thoughts and the group input.
      >
      > On making mistakes: I find private mistakes are always easier to
      > confront than public mistakes.
      >
      > This suggests to me that pair-programming will suppress some
      > innovation as the activity is necessarily 'public' and risk-taking
      > (for example, playing with design and algorithm alternatives) will be
      > constrained.

      I think this is only true when you are relatively new to pairing. Good
      pairing is not particularly self-conscious. It is true that you may
      spend less time "exploring alternatives" but the point is to find the
      simplest solution that solves the immediate problem. The simplest isn't
      always the most obvious, but the first attempt should be fairly obvious
      (And if your solution is not simple, that will be obvious too ;-) Later
      you can refactor to a simpler solution when it becomes more obvious. So,
      there shouldn't be much exploring going on. You just have to have
      courage that the solution that emerges will be a good one.

      I think that is why pairing is so much more productive - It isn't about
      stifling innovation, it's about cutting down on a lot of wasted energy.
      Check yourself and see how much time you spend reading email, browsing
      the web, chatting on IM, etc. when you code alone vs. when you pair.

      Where it gets interesting is in the give and take that happens between
      two programmers as they begin to develop a rapport. In some situations
      you will find that you are working with a junior programmer who tends to
      get lost or has habits that need to be corrected. In these cases you do
      have to stiffle [sic] him a little, but it's for his own good (And in
      some cases your own sanity.) Other times you will be working with an
      equal and you will want to give him a little more rope to hang himself
      with. If he goes off on a tangent sometimes it is worthwhile to follow
      him and see where he is going. You may learn something. With a more
      senior person, you may find it best to just let him do whatever he does
      and ask a lot of questions along the way, "Why do you do it that way?"
      Etc. Lots of good stuff about this in the Williams and Kessler book
      (Most of the advice there is pretty good, although what works will vary
      with personalities.)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17 4:29 AM
        On 17 Jul 2006, at 05:27, Chris wrote:
        [snip]
        > On making mistakes: I find private mistakes are always easier to
        > confront than public mistakes.
        >
        > This suggests to me that pair-programming will suppress some
        > innovation as the activity is necessarily 'public' and risk-taking
        > (for example, playing with design and algorithm alternatives) will be
        > constrained.

        I've found the opposite to be true. You have more than one person
        coming up with ideas :-)

        Adrian
      • Matisse Enzer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
          Anyone else running Perl under CruiseControl?

          I wrote an experimental script to produce the XML output that
          CruiseControl knows how to handle - my toy script uses
          Test::Harness::Straps and XML::Generator to run perl test files and
          get the sort of XML created by the <junit> ant task.

          There's a copy of the script at:

          http://twoalpha.blogspot.com/2007/01/junit-style-xml-from-perl-test-
          files.html

          Matisse Enzer <matisse@...>
          http://www.matisse.net/ - http://www.eigenstate.net/
        • Damian Bradford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
            Nope, but it was something I was interested in, I'll try to find time to
            take a look at your script. Otherwise, please post your findings, I would be
            very interested to hear your experience.
            Regards,
            Damian

            http://www.msn.txt4content.com/