Re: [extremeperl] Wiki features

  • mah@everybody.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
      Rob Nagler <nagler@...> writes:

      > With WebDAV, you mount the web server that contains the wiki. You
      > could then use CVS to link it (cvs -d /Volumes/dav.bivio.biz/nagler/wiki),
      > and then edit/checkin/checkout to your heart's content.

      SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
      use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
      merged with the global one at any time.

      --
      http://hexmode.com/
      GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2 B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5

      In the end, the only events in life worth telling are those in which
      the imperishable world erupted into this transitory world. --Carl Jung

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
        mah@... writes:
        > SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
        > use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
        > merged with the global one at any time.

        The fact that Subversion supports DAV is a red herring, since the
        original question was about disconnected use. When you reconnect, it
        is to a remote wiki. The question then is: what version management
        system should the wiki support for users who want disconnected use?

        You can't use Subversion directly unless you teach the Wiki server to
        talk to Subversion to get the files. The fact that it runs DAV only
        means that it could use DAV to talk to Subversion, not that it would
        help the user any. Since bOP exports all files for a forum via DAV,
        the Wiki is nothing special. You can use local Subversion or CVS on
        top of the Wiki, just as long as everybody in the forum agrees what is
        the right thing to use. You would still need to teach the Wiki to do
        a checkout on the server. Ideally, this wouldn't involve a remote
        call, since you'd have to do this for every read. With CVS (and I
        assume local Subversion), you could just check the CVS file to see if
        it was modified.