Re: [extremeperl] Wiki features

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 9:05 AM
      On 3/21/06, Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:
      > Chris uses emacs+darcs, and I'd recommend emacs+cvs for this problem,
      > since it will work better for the world at large. Perhaps I'm being

      One clarification -- I don't use emacs+darcs, one of the commenters
      (John Sequeira) does. I currently use OneNote for this at work, but I
      suspect it's suboptimal for more than one or two people. There are
      other client-side products (Evernote [1] for Win32, Notebook [2] for
      OS X).

      I am investigating using OneNote with WebDAV. MS built support for
      this in primarily to integrate with their own SharePoint server, but
      it appears you can use any DAV server for this. Experimental
      implementing to follow...

      Chris

      [1] http://www.evernote.com/en/
      [2] http://www.circusponies.com/store/index.php?main_page=notebook&sub=organize
    • mah@everybody.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21 12:39 PM
        Rob Nagler <nagler@...> writes:

        > With WebDAV, you mount the web server that contains the wiki. You
        > could then use CVS to link it (cvs -d /Volumes/dav.bivio.biz/nagler/wiki),
        > and then edit/checkin/checkout to your heart's content.

        SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
        use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
        merged with the global one at any time.

        --
        http://hexmode.com/
        GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2 B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5

        In the end, the only events in life worth telling are those in which
        the imperishable world erupted into this transitory world. --Carl Jung

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21 3:27 PM
          mah@... writes:
          > SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
          > use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
          > merged with the global one at any time.

          The fact that Subversion supports DAV is a red herring, since the
          original question was about disconnected use. When you reconnect, it
          is to a remote wiki. The question then is: what version management
          system should the wiki support for users who want disconnected use?

          You can't use Subversion directly unless you teach the Wiki server to
          talk to Subversion to get the files. The fact that it runs DAV only
          means that it could use DAV to talk to Subversion, not that it would
          help the user any. Since bOP exports all files for a forum via DAV,
          the Wiki is nothing special. You can use local Subversion or CVS on
          top of the Wiki, just as long as everybody in the forum agrees what is
          the right thing to use. You would still need to teach the Wiki to do
          a checkout on the server. Ideally, this wouldn't involve a remote
          call, since you'd have to do this for every read. With CVS (and I
          assume local Subversion), you could just check the CVS file to see if
          it was modified.