Wiki features

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
      Chris Winters writes http://www.cwinters.com/news/display/3487:
      > But is there a wiki that works well with distributed, disconnected
      > workers? Such a system would allow me to grab the selected wiki
      > content (the full thing, a branch/web/section, whatever) and run a
      > local server on my laptop. I could then edit the content as normal
      > and when I'm done, sync it back up with the main server. Of course
      > there may be overlapping edits, but smart merge software (of which
      > there's lots) and a good interface should be able to make that
      > workable.

      Chris uses emacs+darcs, and I'd recommend emacs+cvs for this problem,
      since it will work better for the world at large. Perhaps I'm being
      naive (and I often am :-), but I would think all you needed to do was
      use CVS.

      With WebDAV, you mount the web server that contains the wiki. You
      could then use CVS to link it (cvs -d /Volumes/dav.bivio.biz/nagler/wiki),
      and then edit/checkin/checkout to your heart's content. The wiki
      works independently, and if you want to, you can run a server.
      Although it would seem easier to use a "wiki-mode" in emacs, which I
      assume there is. Grabbing CamelCase should be a rather easy thing.

      The only trick would be teaching the wiki to "check out" when someone
      does a GET and POST of the web-based wiki mode. Not sure why this
      would need to be any more complicated. However, I guess one could
      invent an XML-RPC auto-merging protocol, since that seems to be all
      the rage in the blogging community. :-)

      Rob
    • Chris Winters
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
        On 3/21/06, Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:
        > Chris uses emacs+darcs, and I'd recommend emacs+cvs for this problem,
        > since it will work better for the world at large. Perhaps I'm being

        One clarification -- I don't use emacs+darcs, one of the commenters
        (John Sequeira) does. I currently use OneNote for this at work, but I
        suspect it's suboptimal for more than one or two people. There are
        other client-side products (Evernote [1] for Win32, Notebook [2] for
        OS X).

        I am investigating using OneNote with WebDAV. MS built support for
        this in primarily to integrate with their own SharePoint server, but
        it appears you can use any DAV server for this. Experimental
        implementing to follow...

        Chris

        [1] http://www.evernote.com/en/
        [2] http://www.circusponies.com/store/index.php?main_page=notebook&sub=organize
      • mah@everybody.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
          Rob Nagler <nagler@...> writes:

          > With WebDAV, you mount the web server that contains the wiki. You
          > could then use CVS to link it (cvs -d /Volumes/dav.bivio.biz/nagler/wiki),
          > and then edit/checkin/checkout to your heart's content.

          SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
          use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
          merged with the global one at any time.

          --
          http://hexmode.com/
          GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2 B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5

          In the end, the only events in life worth telling are those in which
          the imperishable world erupted into this transitory world. --Carl Jung

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
            mah@... writes:
            > SVN uses WebDAV. Wouldn't that be a natural solution? If you were to
            > use SVK-over-SVN, you could keep a local repository that could be
            > merged with the global one at any time.

            The fact that Subversion supports DAV is a red herring, since the
            original question was about disconnected use. When you reconnect, it
            is to a remote wiki. The question then is: what version management
            system should the wiki support for users who want disconnected use?

            You can't use Subversion directly unless you teach the Wiki server to
            talk to Subversion to get the files. The fact that it runs DAV only
            means that it could use DAV to talk to Subversion, not that it would
            help the user any. Since bOP exports all files for a forum via DAV,
            the Wiki is nothing special. You can use local Subversion or CVS on
            top of the Wiki, just as long as everybody in the forum agrees what is
            the right thing to use. You would still need to teach the Wiki to do
            a checkout on the server. Ideally, this wouldn't involve a remote
            call, since you'd have to do this for every read. With CVS (and I
            assume local Subversion), you could just check the CVS file to see if
            it was modified.