Re: [extremeperl] my subscription - why

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
      krassimir berov writes:
      > I hope to see some day this book published in
      > Bulgaria. It certainly can be used as a manual.

      I'm honored! Good luck with the translation. And, thanks for writing
      a message on this list.

      One thing you might be aware of is that we have modified many of the
      ideas in the book, and probably gotten even more extreme as a result.
      Here are some quick notes on the subject:

      I'm back to using index cards for stories. The story card blanks were
      under-utilized, and take space away from drawing and other free-form
      notes.

      We also don't track anything. Rather, everybody gets paid according
      to fixed bid contracts or other arrangements. It couples performance
      to economics. People learn very quickly to keep track of their own
      performance when it is directly proportional to their paycheck.

      We started doing standups to help with integration. We tend to work
      on individual projects. This causes fragmentation, and we weren't
      helping each other enough to stay motivated. The standups died out a
      few weeks ago, because I think we all are now more clearly motivated.
      Not sure.

      We pair program at about the same level we did when I wrote the book.
      It's often used for training purposes or to solve hard problems.

      Whenever I find myself *talking* about code, I try to make sure I
      leave the conference room and hit the keyboard. I can't believe how
      many times this occurs. It's very difficult to break the old habits
      of "whiteboarding" instead of just trying something.

      I am even more extreme on the functional programming than I have ever
      been. It's very important to me to eliminate any intermediate state.
      We've been augmenting bOP with many more functional structures as a
      result.

      Finally, I never wrote the logistics chapter. Well, I did write it,
      but it was too radical for many people. If there is one thing that I
      think is missing in most books about XP, it's that the release cycle
      has to be instantaneous. There can be only one version. Go live as
      quickly as possible. We release weekly and more often. Whenever we
      hold code over the weekend, we get in trouble with schedules, bugs,
      integration, etc. It's simply not worth it. This release cycle may
      not be possible in all applications, but I'm always astounded at how
      many applications could use it and don't

      I hope this helps.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
        > We started doing standups to help with integration. We tend to work
        > on individual projects. This causes fragmentation, and we weren't
        > helping each other enough to stay motivated. The standups died out a
        > few weeks ago, because I think we all are now more clearly motivated.
        > Not sure.
        >
        > We pair program at about the same level we did when I wrote the book.
        > It's often used for training purposes or to solve hard problems.

        One thing we're starting to find useful is to write at least half of
        each other's unit tests. For one thing, your API has to pass someone
        else's eyes. This helps both in terms of design review as well as test
        coverage. The second benefit we're discovering is reduced mental
        fatigue. You're still doing the same amount of work, but you're
        fresher because you've had a break from your project to work on
        someone else's.

        We've only done it on one project so far (Perl6::Roles), but I think
        we're going to do it a lot more now that we've found we liked it.