Re: [extremeperl] "Extreme Programming is good if you don't have to be first to market"

  • Curtis Poe
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Terrence Brannon wrote:

      > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
      > beat everyone to market, it is impractical:  they could have been a
      > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.

      I'd like to see a company that truly uses XP. Most of the time, I see
      companies adopt little bits and pieces but many of those pieces are
      tightly coupled with other pieces and adopting them "halfway" only gets
      part of the benefit.

      For example, in iteration planning meetings where programmers are
      picking up story cards, if you don't have a customer-driven process to
      assign priorities and customer feedback on what's already done, you
      wind up guessing what needs to be done and only find out later you've
      guessed wrong. Additionally, with XP, by having customers review the
      process every iteration, you find out *now* what needs to be changed.
      That's a lot less expensive and time-consuming than finding out a few
      months down the road.

      So far on the XP-driven projects I've been on development is much
      faster. I've spent much less time in the "oh crap, we're screwed"
      meetings.

      Cheers,
      Ovid

    • Adam Turoff
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:
        > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
        > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
        > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
        >
        > Any feedback on this?

        Sounds like in the absence of hard data, it's pretty easy to fabricate
        enough annecdotal evidence to back up your chosen point of view.

        -- Adam