Re: [extremeperl] "Extreme Programming is good if you don't have to be first to market"

  • alex_viggio@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      I'd doublecheck where this director gets his facts (did he work with
      Catbert?) and what rigorous development process he sees as faster to
      market than XP, other than "seat of your pants prototyping with every
      sincere intention to properly implement the v3.0 release."

      See http://www.xprogramming.com/publications/dc9810cs.pdf for a case
      study on the Chrysler project commonly described as the genesis of XP.
      At least his source got the vertical market right :)

      This is posted on Ron Jeffries' site, one of the members of the project
      team and a true Dilbert in a sea of Wally programmers.

      - Alex

      Terrence Brannon wrote:

      >I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
      >yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
      >Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
      >company where they weren't trying to be first to market.
      >
      >He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
      >beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
      >year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
      >
      >Any feedback on this?

    • Curtis Poe
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Terrence Brannon wrote:

        > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
        > beat everyone to market, it is impractical:  they could have been a
        > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.

        I'd like to see a company that truly uses XP. Most of the time, I see
        companies adopt little bits and pieces but many of those pieces are
        tightly coupled with other pieces and adopting them "halfway" only gets
        part of the benefit.

        For example, in iteration planning meetings where programmers are
        picking up story cards, if you don't have a customer-driven process to
        assign priorities and customer feedback on what's already done, you
        wind up guessing what needs to be done and only find out later you've
        guessed wrong. Additionally, with XP, by having customers review the
        process every iteration, you find out *now* what needs to be changed.
        That's a lot less expensive and time-consuming than finding out a few
        months down the road.

        So far on the XP-driven projects I've been on development is much
        faster. I've spent much less time in the "oh crap, we're screwed"
        meetings.

        Cheers,
        Ovid

      • Adam Turoff
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
          On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:
          > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
          > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
          > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
          >
          > Any feedback on this?

          Sounds like in the absence of hard data, it's pretty easy to fabricate
          enough annecdotal evidence to back up your chosen point of view.

          -- Adam