Re: [extremeperl] "Extreme Programming is good if you don't have to be first to market"

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:

      > I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
      > yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
      > Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
      > company where they weren't trying to be first to market.
      >
      > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
      > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
      > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
      >
      > Any feedback on this?

      Personally, I feel that XP means you're *quicker* to market because you're
      only implementing those features you're selling right now. In addition,
      you're quicker to market with new features and bugfixes. I'm a little
      confused as to where the person in question got his/her information.

    • alex_viggio@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        I'd doublecheck where this director gets his facts (did he work with
        Catbert?) and what rigorous development process he sees as faster to
        market than XP, other than "seat of your pants prototyping with every
        sincere intention to properly implement the v3.0 release."

        See http://www.xprogramming.com/publications/dc9810cs.pdf for a case
        study on the Chrysler project commonly described as the genesis of XP.
        At least his source got the vertical market right :)

        This is posted on Ron Jeffries' site, one of the members of the project
        team and a true Dilbert in a sea of Wally programmers.

        - Alex

        Terrence Brannon wrote:

        >I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
        >yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
        >Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
        >company where they weren't trying to be first to market.
        >
        >He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
        >beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
        >year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
        >
        >Any feedback on this?

      • Curtis Poe
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Terrence Brannon wrote:

          > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
          > beat everyone to market, it is impractical:  they could have been a
          > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.

          I'd like to see a company that truly uses XP. Most of the time, I see
          companies adopt little bits and pieces but many of those pieces are
          tightly coupled with other pieces and adopting them "halfway" only gets
          part of the benefit.

          For example, in iteration planning meetings where programmers are
          picking up story cards, if you don't have a customer-driven process to
          assign priorities and customer feedback on what's already done, you
          wind up guessing what needs to be done and only find out later you've
          guessed wrong. Additionally, with XP, by having customers review the
          process every iteration, you find out *now* what needs to be changed.
          That's a lot less expensive and time-consuming than finding out a few
          months down the road.

          So far on the XP-driven projects I've been on development is much
          faster. I've spent much less time in the "oh crap, we're screwed"
          meetings.

          Cheers,
          Ovid

        • Adam Turoff
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
            On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:
            > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
            > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
            > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
            >
            > Any feedback on this?

            Sounds like in the absence of hard data, it's pretty easy to fabricate
            enough annecdotal evidence to back up your chosen point of view.

            -- Adam