"Extreme Programming is good if you don't have to be first to market"

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
      yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
      Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
      company where they weren't trying to be first to market.

      He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
      beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
      year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.

      Any feedback on this?

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:

        > I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
        > yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
        > Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
        > company where they weren't trying to be first to market.
        >
        > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
        > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
        > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
        >
        > Any feedback on this?

        Personally, I feel that XP means you're *quicker* to market because you're
        only implementing those features you're selling right now. In addition,
        you're quicker to market with new features and bugfixes. I'm a little
        confused as to where the person in question got his/her information.

      • alex_viggio@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          I'd doublecheck where this director gets his facts (did he work with
          Catbert?) and what rigorous development process he sees as faster to
          market than XP, other than "seat of your pants prototyping with every
          sincere intention to properly implement the v3.0 release."

          See http://www.xprogramming.com/publications/dc9810cs.pdf for a case
          study on the Chrysler project commonly described as the genesis of XP.
          At least his source got the vertical market right :)

          This is posted on Ron Jeffries' site, one of the members of the project
          team and a true Dilbert in a sea of Wally programmers.

          - Alex

          Terrence Brannon wrote:

          >I interviewed with the director of a small team here in Los Angeles
          >yesterday. The guy was part of an Extreme Programming outfit in
          >Arizona. He said that Extreme Programming came from GM and Ford motor
          >company where they weren't trying to be first to market.
          >
          >He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
          >beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
          >year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
          >
          >Any feedback on this?

        • Curtis Poe
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Terrence Brannon wrote:

            > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
            > beat everyone to market, it is impractical:  they could have been a
            > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.

            I'd like to see a company that truly uses XP. Most of the time, I see
            companies adopt little bits and pieces but many of those pieces are
            tightly coupled with other pieces and adopting them "halfway" only gets
            part of the benefit.

            For example, in iteration planning meetings where programmers are
            picking up story cards, if you don't have a customer-driven process to
            assign priorities and customer feedback on what's already done, you
            wind up guessing what needs to be done and only find out later you've
            guessed wrong. Additionally, with XP, by having customers review the
            process every iteration, you find out *now* what needs to be changed.
            That's a lot less expensive and time-consuming than finding out a few
            months down the road.

            So far on the XP-driven projects I've been on development is much
            faster. I've spent much less time in the "oh crap, we're screwed"
            meetings.

            Cheers,
            Ovid

          • Adam Turoff
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
              On 9/1/05, Terrence Brannon <bauhaus@...> wrote:
              > He also said that while XP is good in general when you are trying to
              > beat everyone to market, it is impractical: they could have been a
              > year ahead of everyone but instead were a year behind.
              >
              > Any feedback on this?

              Sounds like in the absence of hard data, it's pretty easy to fabricate
              enough annecdotal evidence to back up your chosen point of view.

              -- Adam