Re: [extremeperl] unit tester

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 31, 2005
      chromatic writes:
      > I think you mean "the simpler the tests, the probably fewer the number
      > of bugs".

      Yes, thanks.

      > Otherwise, I completely disagree; your code has to get
      > specific *somewhere*.

      One of the most interesting programs is an inference engine. What it
      takes is a set of facts and rules. The inference engine uses simple
      algorithms and heuristics to prove something, and often, it can
      explain its reasoning.

      This is the ultimate goal of all refactoring. Reusing an inference
      engine to solve a problem. If you don't keep this in mind, you end up
      running into Philip Greenspun's 10th rule of programming:

      Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an
      ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half
      of Common Lisp.

      http://philip.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000tgU

    • Dave Cross
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 14, 2005
        Terrence Brannon wrote:
        > Adam Sroka <adam.s@...> writes:
        >

        >>I just use Test::More and prove.
        >

        > what is prove? I could not find it in the main Test::More docs:
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/Test-Simple-0.60/lib/Test/More.pm

        You didn't get a reply to this. I hope this isn't too late to be useful.

        prove is a command line test runner. It's included with recent versions
        of Test::Harness.

        http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Harness/

        Dave...