Re: [extremeperl] What's all the interest?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 26, 2005
      I can't speak for anyone else, but I recently joined the list. I began
      my professional career in 1998 writing Perl programs for the web. Then,
      in late 2001, the company I was working for decided to standardize on
      Java. I have long since moved on, but I've had my ass firmly planted in
      J2EE-land ever since. For the last couple of years I've had the pleasure
      of doing full blown XP in a Java environment.

      Recently, I've been doing freelance consulting, and I've been hired to
      write some native code in C/C++. I knew that I was going to test drive
      it, but I was unfamiliar with the test frameworks available. I gave
      several a try (CppUnit, CxxUnit, TUX, ...at least one other...) but they
      all sucked royally. Then it occured to me that I could test my native
      code from Perl. So, I started writing tests first in Perl. Most of the
      time I'd use Inline::* or I might black-box with exec() depending on the
      granularity of the test. Then I could implement the C/C++/Assembly code
      to pass the test.

      It also occured to me right away that I hate writing make files, but I
      could use Perl to configure and build (Rather than Ant or NAnt, which I
      am used to, but they are unwieldy when all you are doing is calling
      shell commands.)

      Anyway, when I found myself doing XP practices with Perl it seemed like
      a natural thing to look for others who were doing the same so I found
      this list.

      Another thought: OReilly just published "Perl Testing" (Which,
      ironically, talks about testing C code with Inline:* even though I did
      it before I read the book) recently. That might have sparked some
      additional interest.

      Thanks,
      Adam

      Rob Nagler wrote:

      >Our list seems to be growing all of a sudden. Is there a upswing in
      >the use of Perl around the world or XP?
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Rob
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >.

    • Dave Cross
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 14 3:03 AM
        Terrence Brannon wrote:
        > Adam Sroka <adam.s@...> writes:
        >

        >>I just use Test::More and prove.
        >

        > what is prove? I could not find it in the main Test::More docs:
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/Test-Simple-0.60/lib/Test/More.pm

        You didn't get a reply to this. I hope this isn't too late to be useful.

        prove is a command line test runner. It's included with recent versions
        of Test::Harness.

        http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Harness/

        Dave...