Re: Better Development Tools for Perl

  • blakemills
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 19, 2005
      I'll have to take a closer look at your emacs customizations, since
      I'm doing perl XP with a highly tweaked emacs as well. We've got all
      sorts of useful mods including:

      - Jump to perl-thing-at-point, whether its a method, module, constant
      subroutine, or filename
      - Show the inheritance hierarchy of this module, or the one under
      point
      - Add a use line for the class under point
      - Deparse a chunk of highlighted perl, adding parens to clarify
      precidence
      - Jump from code to test (and vice versa) in one button
      - Run the unit test
      - Update the test count
      - See the current cvs diff for this file or sandbox
      - Navigate previous cvs changes for this file
      - Show the entire CVS checkin that added a particular line
      - Apply/Revert a hunk from a cvs diff file
      - Show CVS annotation or log comment for current line
      - Jump from a CVS diff file directly to the line in the code
      - Insert a random MAC address (for writing unit tests)
      - Insert a source filter around the current block so only a portion
      of the unit test is run, so you can focus in on a particular
      test thats failing
      - Toggle formatting of lists or hashes that span more than 80 columns
      - find all occurances of a string in our code base
      - show all methods named X
      - Jump to the SUPER method of the one you're overriding
      - run 'make' with various useful targets
      - make sure the current perl file compiles cleanly
      - pull up a perldoc on whatevers under the point
      - Insert various useful debugging lines temporarily, i.e. Carp
      - toggle pairs of single quotes to double quotes and vice versa
      - Fold unnecessarily long copyright chunks into one line
      - Tab complete module names based on the .pm files in the filesystem
      - Toggle between prefix and postfix versions of if,foreach,while

      And thats just from a brief scan through our emacs config files.
      There's also a handy shortcut for adding a line to our emacs
      wish-list so there is a nice long list of stuff we'd like to add.

      -Blake
      p.s. I noticed Bivio has offices in San Mateo just down the street
      from where I work.... Do you happen to work in San Mateo?

      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006