Emacs enhancements for CPerl mode and complex systems

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12 10:57 AM
      I just replaced the file b-perl.el with bivio-emacs-20050612.tgz in
      the files area: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeperl/files (Why
      can't you just send a simple link to a file in the yahoo files area?)
      For those of you who hate bOP's "self-containedness" (can you say:
      integratedness? ;-), you'll hate this even more. However, it's what
      we use for commercial software development including refactoring.
      b-perl.el was recently upgraded to support cperl 5.0, which comes
      standard with Tiger.

      One binding in the above I should mention that greatly helps all of
      our work (not just Perl):

      (define-key global-map "\M-'" 'dabbrev-expand)

      dabbrev-expand is simple and useful. It searches all your buffers in
      a "reasonable" order to find completions for terms (be it Perl class
      names or lisp functions or long words like integratedness). It runs
      lightning fast, and means I don't have to remember how to spell long
      names in any environment -- including this email, which is being
      composed within Emacs' mail-mode. :-)

      One of the things I like so much about XP is that not only do I get to
      refactor my code, but I get to refactor my tests, Emacs, and XP
      itself! For example, the story-card.pdf I put on in the files area on
      1/30/02 has now been refactored to an 5x8" quadruled index card. I
      love throwing out code and complexity!

      As to complex systems, there are lots of them in Perl. I can only
      speak for our little group of four (five as of tomorrow!) programmers.
      We maintain the following complex Perl apps with weekly releases, good
      ol' emacs, developing on PowerBooks (minus one, who still likes
      Linux), and deploying on Linux and Solaris:

      http://www.bivio.com -- including handling all customer support
      http://balloting.standards.ieee.org
      http://www.zoescore.com
      http://www.colosla.org -- partial customer support
      http://petshop.bivio.biz -- all customer support ;-)

      We have other apps and projects, but these are the ones which are pure
      Perl and web-based.

      We only work 40 hours a week. We have no support staff or managers
      (besides me, the evil slave driver ;-). We also contribute to our
      community through pro bono work.

      It's arguable that Perl or emacs is necessary for us to sustain our
      business. I believe agile development and open book management are
      much more important. Perl and emacs are sufficient and a competitive
      advantage, however, and that's proven by the fact we continue to grow
      and prosper.

      Rob
    • James Keenan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13 2:30 PM
        On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:57:19 -0600, Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:

        > I just replaced the file b-perl.el with bivio-emacs-20050612.tgz in
        > the files area: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeperl/files (Why
        > can't you just send a simple link to a file in the yahoo files area?)

        Be careful what you wish for; your wish may be granted.

        Depending on the moderator settings, it is possible that (a) anyone can
        join a Yahoo group, and (b) any member can upload any file to the files
        area. Which means the files area can get loaded with crap.

        I'm the moderator of another yahoo group, perlsemny, and to spike the
        spam we eventually had to move to a situation where (a) all memberships
        have to be approved by the moderator and (b) only the moderator can
        upload files.

        Granted, this doesn't directly answer your question about links, but I
        think you can see why that might not be desirable, either.

        jimk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13 6:38 PM
          James Keenan writes:
          > Be careful what you wish for; your wish may be granted.

          It's been on bivio.com for about 5 years:

          http://www.bivio.com/demo_club/files/index.htm

          Hasn't been a problem. Many other sites have solved this problem this
          way, too.

          I doubt that Yahoo planned the files area for security through
          obscurity but maybe. Rather they inherited whatever egroups had. The DTSTTCPW
          is to use the PATH_INFO of the URL to map to the files. I'm sure some
          clever engineer thought of Yahoo's clever system.

          This is the key issue. We get the occassional spam, but I ban the
          users when I can.

          > Depending on the moderator settings,

          Exactly. Solve the security problem through a security (realm/role)
          mechanism, not through obscuring an interface. You CAN get a URL, and
          if you were a warez trader, you'd simply use tinurl or some other
          obfuscator to make it hard to trace what it is.

          YAGNI says, "You don't know you have a security problem until you have
          one." DTSTTCPW says, "make the interface clean".