Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Sean O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 9, 2005
      Firstly, people can write good / bad code (or systems) in any
      language. I like Robs comparison with the guilds - living amongst a
      community of granite workers I can certainly appreciate it!

      After all these years I've come to the conclusion that there is no
      perfect environment and that there never can be - programming well and
      "efficiently" comes down to your state of mind - there is no perfect
      "tool" and because it is related to the mind and mind state rather
      than something physical (shoe size etc) - everybody has a different
      take on it - all minds are different! One persons perfect example of
      something which should be refactored is another persons perfect piece
      of code.

      What will get a particular technology (language etc) involved in big
      project has less to do with IDEs etc and more to do with :
      a) what the CTO thinks is "good" - here marketing matters - Sun, IBM,
      Oracle, Microsoft and others are spending seriously large amounts of
      cash on persuading CTOs that their flavour is "best" - I have never
      seen a billboard promoting perl!

      b) the availability of "workers" in that language - colleges are not
      teaching perl here in Ireland to my knowledge - but they are teaching
      java / vb. I'm currently doing some work with a life insurance
      company - in this industry systems run on big IBM mainframes and the
      expected life of the system is in decades - its written in cobol and
      because IBM actively support java, there is a very slow process of
      migrating new projects to java. The system has been written over the
      last 40 years and there are hundreds of programers working on it and
      millions of lines of code - only a tiny fraction is in java. These
      guys know that in ten years time they will be able to find programmers
      who "do" java.

      In short the rise or fall of a language has less to do with the
      technicalities / capabilities and more to do with economics.

      cheers!
      Sean

      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006