Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • J Matisse Enzer
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 9, 2005
      On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Rob Kinyon wrote:
      > My wife just had a baby a few days ago

      Congratulations to you both!

      >> I am hoping that this conversation is helpful to myself and others,
      >> especially non-wizards, who want to build medium/large projects and
      >> get paid for it.
      >
      > This is something I'm going to be really rude in answering.

      Why be rude? It certainly makes it harder to understand what you are
      trying to say.

      > People who aren't senior developers have no business building a
      > medium/large project and getting paid for it.

      Are you equating "senior developer" with wizard?

      > If 20+ years of Perl existence has gone by with Perl being "the glue
      > of the Internet" and no IDE has sprung up?

      In fact, several IDE's have sprung up: Komodo and Eclipse/EPIC are
      probably the most sophisticated but they are by no means the only ones.

      > Why do Java developers tout
      > the power of their IDEs and not the power of their language?

      I certainly have not seen evidence of that, perhaps that is a starw-man
      argument?

      > Answer those questions and maybe you'll start to convince me that an
      > IDE for Perl is worthwhile.

      Perl IDE's exist, I am arguing that they must get better or Perl's
      market share will dwindle, a lot and quickly.

      Matisse Enzer <matisse@...>
      http://www.matisse.net/ - http://www.eigenstate.net/
      415-225-6703 (work/cellphone)
      415-401-8325 (home)