Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • J Matisse Enzer
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 9, 2005
      On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Rob Kinyon wrote:

      > The 7+/-2 statement wasn't about LOC ... it was about -concepts-
      > within a 50-line scope. When I say "50-line scope", I mean the
      > physical number of lines (LOC) between any pair of curly-brackets,

      Ahh, well, that's different. Sorry I misunderstood about the LOC vs.
      concepts. Indeed, cramming 12 concepts into a 50 line scope does seem
      like pushing things, keeping down to a half dozen or less is very
      common, in almost any well written code I've seen, regardless of the
      tools used.

      In fact, I'll try to keep my posting on this list to less than 5
      concepts per 50-line scope :-)

      > Chris is right in that an IDE would be handy to do things like
      > renaming or parameter ordering. Except, I'll sometimes build my
      > parameter list and call it $self->foo( @params ) instead of
      > $self->foo( $bar, $baz ).

      Why is that an exception?

      Chris (and I) are saying it would be helpful if the tool(s) would help
      with things like renaming and reordering - this is all about wish-list,
      not what is currently available.

      I certainly understand why it is sometimes preferable to use an array
      instead of a series of named variables, and I would want my refactoring
      tool to catch that.

      Maybe I am mis-reading your tone of voice - easy to do in email of
      course and I apologize if I have done so.

      I keep reading your comments as if they are in a rather stubborn tone
      of voice, dismissing each possible improvement in tools because they
      are not perfect or do not handle exactly every situation you can think
      of, or because they might help a non-wizard more than a wizard.

      I am hoping that this conversation is helpful to myself and others,
      especially non-wizards, who want to build medium/large projects and
      get paid for it.

      My fundamental argument (which it would be great if it's wrong) is that
      Perl's "market share" is going to erode a lot, and quickly unless the
      tools for Perl get a lot better.

      Here's a real world example - I know of a company (Tsunami Software)
      that has an application where the back-end is in Perl and the front-end
      is in Java. They are concerned about whether they should switch the
      back-end to Java. I believe that if the tools for Perl could do what
      their Java tools do they would be less likely to ditch Perl.

      -Matisse

      Matisse Enzer <matisse@...>
      http://www.matisse.net/ - http://www.eigenstate.net/
      415-225-6703 (work/cellphone)