Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • J Matisse Enzer
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 9, 2005
      On Jun 9, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Adam Turoff wrote:

      > I get the point that Rob was trying to make about any task requiring
      > looking at 7 +/- 2 lines of code, and keeping ~50 lines of context
      > available at any point. If you can code in that style, then IDEs, big
      > classes, forests of methods and the like just get in your way. Method
      > auto-completion isn't a productivity boost as much as it's a coping
      > strategy.

      So, is it correct to say that you don't think the tools for Perl
      require much improvement? That Perl will continue to be a viable choice
      in the marketplace for medium/large projects (not just in theory)
      without tools like those available for Java, C#, VB, etc.?

      Also, I'd love to see some example of the kinds of code you are talking
      about - medium/large systems where every tasks is handled in 5-12 lines
      of code and where and IDE would only make it harder to maintain. Are
      there 2 or 3 open source examples you could point to?

      Matisse Enzer <matisse@...>
      http://www.matisse.net/ - http://www.eigenstate.net/
      415-225-6703 (work/cellphone)
      415-401-8325 (home)