Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • chromatic
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 8 11:12 PM
      On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 23:18 -0500, Ed Grimm wrote:

      > Also, more to Rob's point, I find IDEs to be less than useful; when
      > one follows coding principles that limit the number of global
      > variables severely, and local variables must be scoped entirely within
      > one screen, etc, the benefits of an IDE are greatly reduced.

      Ah, but if you encapsulate things in objects and modules, being able to
      ask "what are all of the available methods on this object" (as you can
      do in Python and Ruby interactive environments, for example) is really
      handy. I would like something like that available for Perl sometimes;
      reflection is useful.

      > I do see an issue that needs to be addressed - wizard-level perl
      > abilities have a very high cost of entry;

      I'm not sure that necessarily has to be true. Both Damian and Schwern
      have given good talks on sufficiently encapsulated magic. I don't mind
      doing some crazy black magic, but I do think that hiding it behind a
      very simple interface and explaining it well makes it easier for
      programmers who either can't or don't want to know about the black magic
      to use it.

      Of course, smart people such as Perrin have their own ideas about how
      nice hijacking import() is, for example, but I think the general
      principle is sound even if we disagree on some implementation details.

      -- c
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006