Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • J Matisse Enzer
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 8, 2005
      On Jun 8, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Ed Grimm wrote:

      > Basically, if
      > an IDE does its syntax checking by some means other than having the
      > compiler/parser itself do the checking, my code will frequently find
      > errors in their understanding of the language.

      That is definitely true. The IDE that I use does actually use Perl to
      parse perl (at least I am pretty certain of that), so when you see an
      error it really is a compile-time error.

      I think that the tools for Perl have to go further than that, and be
      able to give warnings when using a method that isn't defined anywhere
      available (a warning, not an error in that case.) There area lot of
      things that I want good tools to be able to do that they can't now, for
      example much better automated refactoring support such as moving method
      between classes (and updating references), etc.

      I do gather from your posting that you don't really feel that the tools
      for working on Perl need to be much better, so I guess you and I have a
      big difference there - I do think that unless the tools get much better
      Perl will cease to be viable for medium-to-large project (except of
      course by wizards who can do anything.)

      I do try to not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for the well known
      reasons.

      On the other hand, if I am wrong, and Perl continues to be viable for
      medium and large projects without the tools going much beyond say 1998,
      then that is just fine with me! I would love to see more large business
      projects done in Perl, and my fears about it becoming as common for new
      projects as Tcl or Lisp or Forth will be alleviated.

      -M

      Matisse Enzer <matisse@...>
      http://www.matisse.net/ - http://www.eigenstate.net/
      415-225-6703 (work/cellphone)