Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Mark T. Dame
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 8, 2005
      Chris Winters wrote:

      > Of course, Emacs and VIM can do the same (or at least most of it), but
      > IME you need to know much, much more about the editor to do so. I've
      > been using XEmacs and Perl for ~six years, and I know that someone
      > like Randal probably has more emacs-fu in his pinky than I have in my
      > whole head, but I've never been able to jump a conceptual barrier with
      > it that lets me do these things easily.
      >
      > So is that an argument for laziness? Maybe I just need an XEmacs
      > mentor for a week or two? Just another lame excuse by an
      > Java IDE convert?

      It all depends on what you do for a living. If you make a living
      writing code, spending a week or two to learn lisp to make emacs work
      the way you want is an utter waste of time and money if there is an IDE
      out there that already does 90% of what you need.

      On the other hand, if you code for a hobby, that time spent learning
      lisp could be very fun and informative and well worth the effort.

      That said, I use emacs exclusively for coding, but I don't have anything
      fancier than Perl-mode. My wish list for an IDE (in order of importance):

      1. Emacs as the editor (or at least an editor that reproduces the emacs
      keystrokes and commands faithfully)
      2. Syntax highlighting
      3. Integrated debugger with watches and variable inspection.
      4. Context menus that allow you to pull up the documentation or
      declaration/implementation for the current symbol. This includes
      opening up the source for whatever method is being used at the cursor.
      5. Drop down method selection for the object at the cursor location.
      6. Built-in memory leak detection.
      7. Built-in profiling.

      I already have the first two with emacs. Now I just need the rest. My
      point of this list is that there has been a lot of discussion about why
      IDE's are bad because they lead to hidden code complexities. This is
      true if you are using code generators and GUI frameworks, but those
      features aren't necessary for an IDE. An IDE can be very useful without
      adding in Evil Stuff.

      -m
      --
      ## Mark T. Dame <mailto:mdame@...>