Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 8, 2005
      On 6/7/05, Adam Turoff <adam.turoff@...> wrote:
      > On 6/7/05, Rob Kinyon <rob.kinyon@...> wrote:
      > > I'm saying that the
      > > ability to dynamically redefine the language both makes an IDE
      > > impossible and is the reason a given language is better than another
      > > language that doesn't provide dynamic redefinition.
      > >
      > > I subscribe to Paul Graham's Blub theory, in case you're wondering.
      >
      > Interesting.
      >
      > Lisp Machine lisp provides many of the same IDE features you
      > decry as indicative of a poor language. Yet Lisp provides the
      > kind of dynamic redirection that is supposed to give IDEs fits.
      >
      > http://lemonodor.com/archives/000103.html
      > http://lemonodor.com/archives/000441.html

      Apples and Rhinoceroses again. The Lisp Machine itself is redefined by
      the Lisp macros, so it's presenting an IDE for the new language you've
      created. This may or may not be feasible in P6 with the discussion of
      Macros. Given the amount of runtime redefinition that happens in P5 -
      that's definitely not possible.

      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006