Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 8, 2005
      > are you a fan of Agile/eXtreme programming? I'm asking because this is
      > the extreme perl list, so I'm wondering if the Genetleman from Ohio
      > rises in opposition to XP or in support of it, so that i might better
      > understand his contributions. (Seriously - just trying to ask in a nice
      > way.)

      Yes, I am. I rise in support for XP, which I use in my projects. My
      concern is that IDE's are actually anti-XP, not pro-XP. XP, imho,
      requires a holistic view of the project. The layers of code that an
      IDE promote are antithetical to this holistic view. You simply cannot
      get the big picture without some sort of UML/RUP type of
      meta-development.

      My theory is that most "big" projects are small projects that were
      misunderstood. Or, the XP idea of YAGNI was ignored and
      feature-creepitis set in.

      > On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:20 PM, Rob Kinyon wrote:
      >
      > > I'm saying that the ability to dynamically redefine the language both
      > > makes an IDE
      > > impossible
      >
      > Well there are several Perl IDE's (and PHP, etc.) so maybe what you are
      > saying is that an IDE for Perl cannot take full advantage of the
      > language's mutability, which I certainly agree is true. I simply want
      > much better IDE's and the features I want I am willing to settle for
      > the stuff that is possible, and I am willing to give up the stuff that
      > is impossible.
      >
      > Obviously I have different approach to coding that you do. I'm not
      > trying to convert you, I am trying to get better tools for myself and
      > for people who do want to develop in roughly the same way I want to.

      I agree that we code differently. For me, the dynamic aspects of Perl
      are the reason I don't code in Java or MSVC. And, if an IDE cannot
      keep up with the reason I'm using that language, then I cannot use
      that IDE - no matter how much I may want to.

      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006