Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Perrin Harkins
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 6, 2005
      Rob Kinyon wrote:
      > Now, everyone knows a story like that. Except, I've never heard of a
      > story like that in Perl or Lisp or Haskell.

      That's because the Perl/Lisp/PHP failure story is different. The way it
      goes, a couple of cowboy coders come in and crank out all this stuff
      really fast that seems to work and really impresses the boss. Then they
      leave and the next people who try to work on it can't make any changes
      to it because it's a ball of mud with no docs and no tests and every
      change causes action-at-a-distance ripples over the whole project. And
      the boss is now mad because his people are telling him they have to do
      months of fixes just to make some small change.

      Not that this is the *failure* story. The success story is largely the
      same as the success story for Java projects.

      > If I told you I had whipped a project out in a week by myself and
      > changes take 20 minutes, then it was rewritten in the corporate
      > language and it took 4 people 3 months and it still doesn't work right
      > and changes take a week ... could you guess the languages?

      I could guess that the fast one was using open source tools and the slow
      one involved a vendor and an IT department.

      Seriously, the Java bashing is both pointless and unfounded. I like
      Java, it's a fun language to code in, and bashing it does nothing to
      improve Perl.

      - Perrin
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006