Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 6, 2005
      I'm still trying to figure out where my projects are going to get
      complex enough that I need my EDITOR to figure it out for me. To me,
      that's a CodeSmell and my design needs to be rethought.

      I have always looked at IDEs as a bandaid. To me, they are the good
      programmer's solution to a bad infrastructure foisted upon them by
      mediocre architects. The Java libraries (and the C++ STL crap) are,
      frankly, overly complicated. Smalltalk is also rife with this - Bag
      and Collection and
      SortedUniqueCollectionThatOnlyWorksOnTuesdaysInMarch ... whatever!

      Why should I ever need CodeAssist? Code Complete says that I shouldn't
      be dealing with more variables in a scope than will exist in 50 lines
      of code. Ideally, I should be able to see on one sheet of paper
      everything that I can affect. When I write, I have to justify to
      myself when the scope goes beyond the size of my window (52 lines).

      The methodname completion thing sounds like a good idea. Except, you
      still need to have documented what those methods do. So, you still
      need to write the docco. Me - if I had to write the docco for
      3245987305734 different methods whose names are 44 characters long and
      which differ after 12(!) CamelCased characters ... that's an
      OrganizationSmell to me. That's an organization that -wants- to be
      obsoleted, and soon.

      I just left a contract with a company that, after giving 50% of their
      profit to the parent, makes over M$150/year. They have locked huge
      universities and several national patent offices to their products for
      several _decades_ - and they'll see their profits drop in 5 years.

      Why? They rewrote their flagship product in Java. Now, I have nothing
      against Java per se ... any project that takes 100
      developers/designers/testers/architects/etc over 5 years to get to the
      first beta is going to doom the company.

      Now, everyone knows a story like that. Except, I've never heard of a
      story like that in Perl or Lisp or Haskell. I'll be glad to be
      corrected, but I only hear stories like that in Java, C++, and .NET
      ... and I don't think it's a coincedence. The languages that make an
      IDE go nuts are the very languages that are the most productive to
      work in.

      If I told you I had whipped a project out in a week by myself and
      changes take 20 minutes, then it was rewritten in the corporate
      language and it took 4 people 3 months and it still doesn't work right
      and changes take a week ... could you guess the languages? I'd be
      interested in seeing a Java -> Perl conversion that meets those
      criteria.

      Basically, there is no IDE for Perl or Lisp or Haskell, and there can
      never be one. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING. That's a sign that the language
      is on the right track. If you need an IDE, then that's a sign you will
      spend way too much time fighting the language (or library) and not
      enough time making your company money.

      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006