Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 6, 2005
      * Adam Turoff (adam.turoff@...) [050606 17:33]:
      > I must say, though, that this wreaks of the arrogant XMLish "just use
      > better tools" argument to bandage over unacceptable complexity. Over
      > the last 8 years, though, the "better tools" haven't really
      > materialized, and XML adoption has been successful to the degree that
      > simple tools carry the day. Not sure if that is a point or a counter
      > point regarding IDEs and development tools though...

      Kind of like how faster processors have masked lots of bad
      programming ;-)

      Anyway, we're venturing into holy war territory here, but I just want
      to reinforce it's not an either/or issue as we so often paint it out
      to be. The worst IDEs (I'm looking at you WebSphere Application
      Developer) lock you into as much as possible, partially though
      wizard-y code generation things to help manage complexity, partially
      through abstracting away the fact that you're editing text files and
      being hostile to any changes not made within it.

      But the best IDEs are really just excellent text editors that help you
      do many of the things you're already doing, and may even make possible
      some of the things you should be doing. (They've also got lot of
      sometimes-useful graphical stuff, but you can take or leave that and
      not change the point.) For instance, hacking someone else's
      substantial codebase is a major drag. Smart IDEs make this not such a
      eye-stabbing chore by allowing you to drill down into implementations,
      rename methods, jump to documentation (or just pop it up inline), see
      where else and how the method is called, extract methods into
      subclasses, pull methods up into parent classes....

      Of course, Emacs and VIM can do the same (or at least most of it), but
      IME you need to know much, much more about the editor to do so. I've
      been using XEmacs and Perl for ~six years, and I know that someone
      like Randal probably has more emacs-fu in his pinky than I have in my
      whole head, but I've never been able to jump a conceptual barrier with
      it that lets me do these things easily.

      So is that an argument for laziness? Maybe I just need an XEmacs
      mentor for a week or two? Just another lame excuse by an
      Java IDE convert? I dunno, but I know that when I switched from
      XEmacs/JDEE to IDEA I became at *least* twice as productive, and it's
      probably the only development tool I'd consider paying money for.

      Later,

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters (http://www.cwinters.com)
      Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006