Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • chromatic
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 6, 2005
      On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 13:10 -0700, J Matisse Enzer wrote:

      > I am reasonably sure that neither vim nor emacs offer:
      >
      > * Refactoring support (extract subroutine)

      Nope.

      > - Built-in dynamic syntax checking

      I'm not sure what this means.

      > * Code-assist (pull-down menu of choices dynamically appears)

      I'm not sure what this means either.

      > - Built-in CVS integration - I mean real integration where I click
      > on a menu (or give a keyboard command) and can do diff/commit/update
      > etc. (Also Subversion too I think, with subclipse)

      Vim can have both.

      > - Code navigation (jump to declaration - emacs might have that via
      > ctags?)

      So does vim.

      I think the phrases "pull-down" and "built-in" beg the question
      somewhat. It takes one line in .vimrc to add syntax highlighting for
      Perl files (.pl, .pm, .t). It takes one line to load a Subversion or
      CVS plugin that adds a keyboard mapping to add, update, diff, or revert
      changes to the file in the current window.

      When you say "pull-down", are you looking for editors that add icons or
      GUI menus? Neither vim nor Emacs really work that way.

      When you say "built-in", are you looking for a single package or plugin
      that adds support for all of these features? Again, that's not really
      the vim or Emacs way (and I consider Eclipse at its heart a plugin
      framework more than anything else, certainly more than an IDE).

      I'm afraid I still have a vague sense of what you really want and, in
      general, a mixed reaction to the features that I don't already have in
      vim. (Automated refactoring would be nice, but nothing about vim nor,
      presumably Emacs, makes it impossible or unlikely to support it when
      packages become available.)

      -- c
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006