Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 5, 2005
      * Perrin Harkins (perrin@...) [050605 13:29]:
      > The refactoring stuff is a more reasonable complaint, but are we all
      > going to curl up and die because we don't have a menu item for changing
      > a method name? Again, the Java people I've worked with tend not to know
      > or use this stuff, despite working on Eclipse variants (IBM's WebSphere
      > stuff).

      I code Java in my day job with IDEA (www.jetbrains.com) and I'd LOVE
      something like this for perl. It's very difficult to impart how useful
      refactoring is (as well as an editor that knows so much about the
      language), but the best analogy I can draw is to unit tests.

      A test suite that covers a substantial part of your code gives you
      confidence to make changes and know there won't be unexpected side
      effects. A good refactoring tool lets you code and then have the
      confidence that changes you make won't break anything -- changing
      method names, signatures, moving code up to a superclass, down to a
      subclass, extracing code to a separate method, etc. Some of this comes
      from Java's types-everywhere system, but still...

      It's hard for me to say that such a tool is preventing people from
      learning perl or moving further along with Perl. But I suspect it's
      what people using higher-level languages will expect from their tools
      in the future. Will Perl6 make some of this possible? I hope so.

      > In short, I think you're focused on the wrong things. The real danger
      > to Perl's future is the way the culture tends to encourage crazy hacks
      > like shoving methods into other module's symbol tables and AUTOLOAD
      > abuse. I would focus on getting people to make clean, readable code a
      > priority rather than spending lots of time automating refactoring.

      100% agree about the focus, even with my own checkered past of runtime
      code generation + string eval...

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters (http://www.cwinters.com)
      Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006