Re: [extremeperl] Better Development Tools for Perl

  • Perrin Harkins
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 5, 2005
      matisse wrote:
      > In my opinion the development tools for Perl are *years* behind those
      > available for other languages and the gap is now a serious problem.

      I don't agree. I have several great text editors with debugger support
      for Perl, so your argument boils down to a lack of testing and
      refactoring support.

      In my last job in a Java shop, no one wrote any unit tests at all.
      Ever. On my last two Perl jobs, there was extensive use of unit testing.

      The common tool is Test::More, along with useful additions like
      Test::DatabaseRow and Test::WWW::Mechanize. Test::More is considerably
      easier to use than JUnit. If you use something like Module::Starter to
      stub your modules (or Catalyst for WWW projects), it generates basic
      test stubs for you too.

      The refactoring stuff is a more reasonable complaint, but are we all
      going to curl up and die because we don't have a menu item for changing
      a method name? Again, the Java people I've worked with tend not to know
      or use this stuff, despite working on Eclipse variants (IBM's WebSphere
      stuff).

      In short, I think you're focused on the wrong things. The real danger
      to Perl's future is the way the culture tends to encourage crazy hacks
      like shoving methods into other module's symbol tables and AUTOLOAD
      abuse. I would focus on getting people to make clean, readable code a
      priority rather than spending lots of time automating refactoring.

      - Perrin
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006