Better Development Tools for Perl

  • matisse
    Message 1 of 107 , Jun 4, 2005
      I having been using Perl for over 10 years now, and have built some
      fairly complex applications for example several Employee Benefits
      Enrollment system, the latest one having over three dozen classes and
      over 300 methods/subroutines.

      I have become very scared about the future of Perl for medium-to-large
      projects, especially ones involving multiple developers and where the
      software is expected to last and evolve over a few years (at least).

      In my opinion the development tools for Perl are *years* behind those
      available for other languages and the gap is now a serious problem.

      I've written a rough whitepaper on the subject:
      http://www.eigenstate.net/perl_tools/ and am in the process of writing
      a more fully developed version for publication on perl.com.

      I'd love feedback, contstructive criticism, and perhaps some people to
      "peer review" the article while I'm writing it over the coming few
      weeks.

      -Matisse
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 13, 2006