ANNOUNCE: New version of Perl port of Fit.

  • Tony Byrne
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 1:52 AM
      Folks,

      I'm pleased to announce my first release of Test::C2FIT for Perl.

      It's available now from CPAN:

      http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/T/TJ/TJBYRNE/Test-C2FIT-0.01a.tar.gz

      and from the 'files' section of the extremeprogramming yahoo group.

      I've been working on modernizing Dave W. Smith's original Perl port of
      the FIT testing framework. Test::C2FIT is a direct port of the Java
      version to Perl. It's based on the port that is available from
      http://fit.c2.com/files/PerlDownloads/, and is not to be confused with
      Test::FIT which is an early and incomplete port available from CPAN.

      This version implements changes to the core and new test fixtures required
      for the port to pass FAT, the current FIT specification. The biggest
      changes are to be found in Parse.pm and Fixture.pm.

      I've also taken the opportunity to change the directory layout to make the
      distribution CPAN and MakeMaker friendly. This should make
      installation a doddle for Perl users.

      In spite of these changes the port is still mostly Dave W. Smith's
      code. My changes are minor compared to his original hard work in
      making FIT a reality for Perl.

      Feel free to play with the new version, I'd love to hear your
      feedback.

      Regards,

      Tony.

      --
      Tony Byrne
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28 7:09 AM
        Tony -

        Why don't you ask the author(s) of Test::FIT to take over the
        namespace? I've done that before with good results, especially if the
        author(s) don't have time to improve the distribution.

        Looks good!

        Rob

        On 4/28/05, Tony Byrne <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
        > Folks,
        >
        > I'm pleased to announce my first release of Test::C2FIT for Perl.
        >
        > It's available now from CPAN:
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/T/TJ/TJBYRNE/Test-C2FIT-0.01a.tar.gz
        >
        > and from the 'files' section of the extremeprogramming yahoo group.
        >
        > I've been working on modernizing Dave W. Smith's original Perl port of
        > the FIT testing framework. Test::C2FIT is a direct port of the Java
        > version to Perl. It's based on the port that is available from
        > http://fit.c2.com/files/PerlDownloads/, and is not to be
        > confused with
        > Test::FIT which is an early and incomplete port available from CPAN.
        >
        > This version implements changes to the core and new test fixtures required
        > for the port to pass FAT, the current FIT specification. The biggest
        > changes are to be found in Parse.pm and Fixture.pm.
        >
        > I've also taken the opportunity to change the directory layout to make the
        > distribution CPAN and MakeMaker friendly. This should make
        > installation a doddle for Perl users.
        >
        > In spite of these changes the port is still mostly Dave W. Smith's
        > code. My changes are minor compared to his original hard work in
        > making FIT a reality for Perl.
        >
        > Feel free to play with the new version, I'd love to hear your
        > feedback.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Tony.
        >
        > --
        > Tony Byrne

      • Tony Byrne
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28 9:39 AM
          Hello Rob,

          RK> Looks good!

          Incidentally, Ward mentioned in an earlier mail some weeks ago, that
          the original Perl port of FIT didn't find much penetration. That's a
          pity, because Dave W. Smith did an excellent job on the port. I'm hoping
          that this update and a commitment from me to further develop the port will
          tempt teams to look at FIT for their Perl projects. So, if you actually
          decide to use this port, or even if you just think it might be useful on a
          project, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Feedback proves the existence of
          an audience, without which there wouldn't be much point in having a port.

          Enjoy,

          Regards,

          Tony.

          --
          Tony Byrne
        • Karl Scotland
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29 1:31 AM
            --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Tony Byrne <yahoogroups@b...>
            wrote:
            > Hello Rob,
            >
            > RK> Looks good!
            >
            > Incidentally, Ward mentioned in an earlier mail some weeks ago,
            that
            > the original Perl port of FIT didn't find much penetration. That's
            > pity, because Dave W. Smith did an excellent job on the port. I'm
            hoping
            > that this update and a commitment from me to further develop the
            port will
            > tempt teams to look at FIT for their Perl projects. So, if you
            actually
            > decide to use this port, or even if you just think it might be
            useful on a
            > project, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Feedback proves the existence
            of
            > an audience, without which there wouldn't be much point in having
            a port.

            A long time ago, I got one of the perl FITs working with FITnesse.
            I've not got the code anymore unfortunately, but I don't seem to
            remember it being to complicated. If you want good penetration, it
            migth be worth looking into (if you haven't already!)

            Karl
          • Tony Byrne
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29 1:47 AM
              Hello Karl,

              KS> A long time ago, I got one of the perl FITs working with FITnesse.
              KS> I've not got the code anymore unfortunately, but I don't seem to
              KS> remember it being to complicated. If you want good penetration, it
              KS> migth be worth looking into (if you haven't already!)

              Thanks Karl, I'll certainly have a look at what's involved.

              Regards,

              Tony.

              --
              Tony Byrne