Re: [extremeperl] Terrence the Hypocrite

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
      > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
      > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
      > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

      According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
      didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
        On 9 Apr 2005, at 01:18, Rob Kinyon wrote:

        >> whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based
        >> on
        >> what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
        >> can be seen or whitebox-tested.
        >
        > According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
        > didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

        True, but sometimes I have to write those tests to demonstrate to
        myself where I have fouled up :-)

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
          On 9 Apr 2005, at 00:22, Terrence Brannon wrote:
          [snip]
          > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
          > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
          > can be seen or whitebox-tested.
          [snip]

          I guess my definition of whitebox testing is a little different from
          that. I consider it testing with knowledge of the internals - no matter
          when you actually implement them.

          If I write a test for an implementation specific private method I'll
          call it a whitebox test even if I write the test before I write the
          method (which is almost always what I'll do). I guess you'd only call
          it a whitebox test if you wrote the test after you wrote the method -
          even if it's exactly the same test ?