Re: [extremeperl] Terrence the Hypocrite

  • Curtis Poe
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
      On Apr 8, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Terrence Brannon wrote:
      > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
      > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
      > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

      It's takes me about two seconds to say "I'm going to write this line of
      code. I had better write a test for it first."

      Cheers,
      Ovid

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
        > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
        > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
        > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

        According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
        didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
          On 9 Apr 2005, at 01:18, Rob Kinyon wrote:

          >> whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based
          >> on
          >> what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
          >> can be seen or whitebox-tested.
          >
          > According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
          > didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

          True, but sometimes I have to write those tests to demonstrate to
          myself where I have fouled up :-)

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
            On 9 Apr 2005, at 00:22, Terrence Brannon wrote:
            [snip]
            > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
            > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
            > can be seen or whitebox-tested.
            [snip]

            I guess my definition of whitebox testing is a little different from
            that. I consider it testing with knowledge of the internals - no matter
            when you actually implement them.

            If I write a test for an implementation specific private method I'll
            call it a whitebox test even if I write the test before I write the
            method (which is almost always what I'll do). I guess you'd only call
            it a whitebox test if you wrote the test after you wrote the method -
            even if it's exactly the same test ?