Re: [extremeperl] Terrence the Hypocrite

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
      Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> writes:

      > On 8 Apr 2005, at 10:44, Terrence Brannon wrote:
      >
      >> Well, you can black-box test before you write code. But whitebox
      >> testing, which is based on knowing the internals of the code has to
      >> wait until the code is written.
      >
      > Erm. No it doesn't. Why would you think it does?

      whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
      what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
      can be seen or whitebox-tested.

    • Curtis Poe
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
        On Apr 8, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Terrence Brannon wrote:
        > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
        > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
        > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

        It's takes me about two seconds to say "I'm going to write this line of
        code. I had better write a test for it first."

        Cheers,
        Ovid

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
          > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
          > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
          > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

          According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
          didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
            On 9 Apr 2005, at 01:18, Rob Kinyon wrote:

            >> whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based
            >> on
            >> what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
            >> can be seen or whitebox-tested.
            >
            > According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
            > didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

            True, but sometimes I have to write those tests to demonstrate to
            myself where I have fouled up :-)

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
              On 9 Apr 2005, at 00:22, Terrence Brannon wrote:
              [snip]
              > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
              > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
              > can be seen or whitebox-tested.
              [snip]

              I guess my definition of whitebox testing is a little different from
              that. I consider it testing with knowledge of the internals - no matter
              when you actually implement them.

              If I write a test for an implementation specific private method I'll
              call it a whitebox test even if I write the test before I write the
              method (which is almost always what I'll do). I guess you'd only call
              it a whitebox test if you wrote the test after you wrote the method -
              even if it's exactly the same test ?