Re: [extremeperl] Terrence the Hypocrite

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
      On 8 Apr 2005, at 10:44, Terrence Brannon wrote:

      > Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> writes:
      >

      >> Not to mention those of us who now consider testing as a design
      >> practice which you need to do before you write code. Relevant no
      >> matter
      >> what language you're using.
      >
      > Well, you can black-box test before you write code. But whitebox
      > testing, which is based on knowing the internals of the code has to
      > wait until the code is written.

      Erm. No it doesn't. Why would you think it does?

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
        On 8 Apr 2005, at 10:44, Terrence Brannon wrote:

        > Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> writes:
        >

        >> Not to mention those of us who now consider testing as a design
        >> practice which you need to do before you write code. Relevant no
        >> matter
        >> what language you're using.
        >
        > Well, you can black-box test before you write code. But whitebox
        > testing, which is based on knowing the internals of the code has to
        > wait until the code is written.

        ... and there's also the issue over testing. Doing pointless black-box
        testing that could never break in any real world situation.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
          Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> writes:

          > On 8 Apr 2005, at 10:44, Terrence Brannon wrote:
          >
          >> Well, you can black-box test before you write code. But whitebox
          >> testing, which is based on knowing the internals of the code has to
          >> wait until the code is written.
          >
          > Erm. No it doesn't. Why would you think it does?

          whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
          what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
          can be seen or whitebox-tested.

        • Curtis Poe
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
            On Apr 8, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Terrence Brannon wrote:
            > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
            > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
            > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

            It's takes me about two seconds to say "I'm going to write this line of
            code. I had better write a test for it first."

            Cheers,
            Ovid

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
              > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
              > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
              > can be seen or whitebox-tested.

              According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
              didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                On 9 Apr 2005, at 01:18, Rob Kinyon wrote:

                >> whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based
                >> on
                >> what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
                >> can be seen or whitebox-tested.
                >
                > According the XP methodology, whitebox testing is a smell that you
                > didn't write enough tests at first. *wink*

                True, but sometimes I have to write those tests to demonstrate to
                myself where I have fouled up :-)

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                  On 9 Apr 2005, at 00:22, Terrence Brannon wrote:
                  [snip]
                  > whitebox testing means looking at your code and writing tests based on
                  > what you see there. until the code is written there is nothing that
                  > can be seen or whitebox-tested.
                  [snip]

                  I guess my definition of whitebox testing is a little different from
                  that. I consider it testing with knowledge of the internals - no matter
                  when you actually implement them.

                  If I write a test for an implementation specific private method I'll
                  call it a whitebox test even if I write the test before I write the
                  method (which is almost always what I'll do). I guess you'd only call
                  it a whitebox test if you wrote the test after you wrote the method -
                  even if it's exactly the same test ?