Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 7, 2005
      > One project I worked on combined Perl, SQL, JavaScript, HTML, XUL, and
      > C. Programmers use a multitude of languages all the time and they use
      > languages that are better suited to what they need to do.
      > Theoretically, that project could have provided a command line
      > interface and flat-files and been our holy grail of Pure Perl. It
      > would have sucked, too.

      The average project I work on is in Perl, SQL, PL/SQL, some variant of
      shell scripting, HTML/CSS, XML, and Javascript. That doesn't count the
      multitude of mini-languages we use everyday, like the various
      configuration languages. (httpd.conf, anyone?) The languages section
      alone of my resume is two lines of indeciperable acronyms, and I'm
      nothing special. (I don't know Haskell, LISP, Prolog, XUL, XPath, or a
      bazillion other things every other PerlMonk above 10k XP seems to be
      fluent in.)

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)