Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Curtis Poe
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 7, 2005
      On Apr 7, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Rob Kinyon wrote:

      > That's a straw man. Competent project management would not allow for
      > the choice of poor tools.

      I wondered if anyone was going to go that route, and you have. So you
      agree that choice of language is relevant, given a problem domain.
      This belies Nagler's insistence upon hammering in screws (witness his
      attempt to find theorem proving software written in Perl) and his
      constant question "what can X do that Perl can't?"

      From some of the comments you have made so far, I believe that while we
      disagree on some points, we're not too far apart.

      Cheers,
      Ovid

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)