Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Curtis Poe
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 7, 2005
      > . . . Research into development  has shown that the impact of project
      > management outweighs the impact of the  choice of languages (and
      > development tools and programming techniques) by  enormous margins --
      > at least ten to one. . . .

      I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm surprised no one has commented
      about this red herring. First, I wouldn't mind see a reference for
      this research. I believe it's quite possibly true, but it's a
      distraction from the point being made. Imagine identical inventory
      tracking systems, both with competent project managent, but one's to be
      written in assembler and the other's to be written in Ruby. Which
      would you choose? Language choice makes a difference.

      Just out of idle curiosity, how many of you who support Nagler's
      position, are, unlike Nagler, familiar with programming languages in
      other paradigms? I assume that at least *one* of you has experience to
      back up your claims?

      Cheers,
      Ovid

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)