Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 7, 2005
      . . . Research into development has shown that the impact of project
      management outweighs the impact of the choice of languages (and
      development tools and programming techniques) by enormous margins --
      at least ten to one. . . .

      I would posit that this is because of one simple factor - if you have
      good project management, you have good specifications management. I
      know on my projects (both work and personal), the hardest thing to do
      is specs / requirements / API. I run into this all the time with
      Excel::Template. All I'm doing is wrapping Spreadsheet::WriteExcel,
      yet I have around 50% of his functions wrapped. Part of that is YAGNI,
      but part of it (like merged cells) is because there is no consensus on
      how the developer should specify that -these- cells are merged
      together, but -those- are not. "It's the specs, stupid!"

      You know, each of us has the necessary skills to program a true AI.
      The only problem is that we don't have sufficiently-detailed
      requirements.

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)