Re: [extremeperl] Re: I almost had a heart attack: you call that refactoring???

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
      On 2 Apr 2005, at 18:46, Curtis Poe wrote:

      > On Apr 2, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Tom Vilot wrote:
      >
      >>> Against: 2 (Jim, Terrence)
      >>> For: 4 (Rob, Rob, Chris, Johan)
      >>
      >> five, actually. Count me in the 'for' list.
      >
      > May as well make it six. I used to think the "never duplicate" rule
      > was good and sometimes the second time I do something I refactor on the
      > spot, but I've been bitten too many times by a quick refactoring only
      > to realize I didn't have a full grasp of what needed to be refactored.
      > 3 or more times is a good rule of thumb.

      I'll make it 7 and 4 since I'm not dogmatic about either. I probably
      lean towards the refactor-at-first-sign-of-duplication camp. However
      there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
      the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
      to do by waiting for a few more examples.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
        On 7 Apr 2005, at 08:36, Adrian Howard wrote:
        [snip]
        > However
        > there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
        > the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
        > to do by waiting for a few more examples.
        [snip]

        And the quote of the day site gave me this today.

        Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
        - Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)

        :-)